Certification requirements - Using JavaScript Build a Cash Register Project as example

I want to know where I can see what exactly fcc evaluates for in a certification project.
For example, for this certification project one of the tests asks the following:

• When the value in the #cash element is less than price , an alert should appear with the text "Customer does not have enough money to purchase the item"

OK, so my cashInput constant is linked to the cash element,

const cashInput = document.getElementById('cash');

price is a let variable,

let price = 1.87;

and cash is less than price (I inserted 1), and voila we see an alert pop up with the exact words and formatting used by the test instruction.
This is the evaluation if statement for the above

if (change < 0) {
    alert('Customer does not have enough money to purchase the item');
    return
}

change is cash - price. Here are other conditions I tried apart from change < 0:

(cash < price)
(cashInput.value < price)
(parseFloat(cashInput.value) < price)

All the tests for functionality are failing, not just this one, but this one is a good example of something working as it should, but not adhering to some requirement set for the test.

I’ve used the console to attempt to find the ‘right’ solution, but didn’t find anything helpful, and ended up reading through their sources. Still didn’t find anything, and doing that for every single wrong answer is incredibly frustrating. I’ve refreshed the page, hard refreshed and switched browsers, so we can cross that off the list.

Since my answer is right, but evaluated as wrong, where do I go to see the exact requirements for each test of the project?

can you show all your code? otherwise it is impossible to help you

:confused: @ilenia I doubt it’s impossible to help me. There must be specific metrics for each certification project that allows the test criteria to be automatically marked as correct or incorrect. I want to be able to see that metric, and not just the end result of the evaluation.

If I share my code right from the bat it will distract from the purpose of my post. I can just go refactor my code, and the issue would go away after maybe three or four revisions. I’ve run into these issues a bunch with previous certification projects, and I’m tired of the constant troubleshooting and refactoring to get fcc evaluations to say it’s correct when I know it was before refactoring (I know because I test the use cases in the instructions on my code in vscode during development :melting_face:).

The point is I don’t have a code problem, I have an evaluation problem, and would like to know where I can find this evaluation metric, since that would allow me to only rewrite one time after initial development.

Where do I find the evaluation metric?

The tests for all the curriculum can be found on github.
Revisions are part of the process, and sharing your code for others to take a look is also part of the process.
If you want help from humans you should post your whole code.

@ilenia I understand that code is necessary for questions about code, but I’d like it if you understand that I really needed a metric, not help with my code, and that I posted this question under general as to not associate it with a specific language or course, using a certification project as an example to drive the points home. Being dismissive just seems like a waste of your time, and also incredibly frustrating to someone that’s asking for help. Please spread kindness.

Indeed they are. I’d like to avoid redundant revisions. Use the tools at my disposal and all that.

The link is what I wanted. Thank you robot person :grinning:

It’s actually, really important to share all of the code when asking for help.