Converting multiple variables

Greetings all, I’m a new member and just learning coding. I’m in the process of developing a web page that pulls weather API data from multiple sources. Some of the sources return data in metric. I need to convert multiple variables to empirical and use math.floor to round to single integer. The API does not have a units conversion parameter so right now I am merely adding conversion formulas to the variable definition. Clearly this is not the proper way to do this.

var iconair24 = response.hours[17].airTemperature[0].value * 9 / 5  + 32;
var iconwnsd24 = response.hours[17].windSpeed[1].value * 2.237;

Since I’m new, I am going to just work on getting the temperature conversion with a function.
Here is my current code that I have so far.

var settings = {"url": "https://api.stormglass.io/v1/weather/point?lat=40.370181&lng=-73.934193&key=e3238934-2f48-11ea-afbb-0242ac130002- 
 e3238a7e-2f48-11ea-afbb-0242ac130002","method":"GET","timeout":0,
 };

$.ajax(settings).done(function (response) {
console.log(response);

$(".iconair24").append(iconair24);

function getFahrenheitFromCelsius(celsius){return (celsius * (9 / 5)) + 32;
 }

But this where I lose how to tie in the function to my variable. Once I figure out the function, I should be able to add the math.floor to it later. Any tips would be most welcome.

Eric

Do you know how to call a function and pass it an argument? If not, I suggest you research that or better yet, check out our Basic JavaScript curriculum that will teach you this and many other things about web development with JavaScript.

Since you have already defined a function named getFahrenheitFromCelsius, you need to pass response.hours[17].airTemperature[0].value to your function. You would assign the result of the function call to iconair24.

1 Like

Thank you very much, for that info! I’ll be working in this today and will report back when I get it.