Copy an Array with the Spread Operator -- help [SOLVED]

Tell us what’s happening:

I checked the console, it adds the repetition into a single array but I obviously want it to spread into num of arrays. How do I do that?
Your code so far

function copyMachine(arr, num) {
  let newArr = [];
  while (num >= 1) {
    // change code below this line
newArr.push(...arr);
    // change code above this line
    num--;
  }
  return newArr;
}

// change code here to test different cases:
console.log(copyMachine([true, false, true], 2));

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/67.0.3396.99 Safari/537.36.

Link to the challenge:
https://learn.freecodecamp.org/javascript-algorithms-and-data-structures/basic-data-structures/copy-an-array-with-the-spread-operator

I will guide you to the solution, but you must answer my questions.

If I told you to create a literal array with the numbers 1, 2, and 3 as elements and assign the array to a variable named oneTwoThree, what is the quickest/easiest way of writing that?

let oneTwoThree = [1, 2, 3];

Exactly. Why not spread the contents of arr and put that inside a literal array to be pushed to newArr?

By literal array you mean empty square brackets? so newArr.push([...arr])?

You got it. A literal array is an array defined by the square brackets [ ].

The following code:

var newArr = [];
newArr.push([…arr])

is just a shorter way to write the following:

var newArr = [];
var tempArr = [...arr]
newArr.push(tempArr)

Thanks, it worked, but I still am not clear as to what have I done. Did I ask JavaScript to essentially repeat it num of times but partition the repetition into sub-arrays? Cause that was the only difference between my initial code and the solution code.

Remember that the spread operator ... when applied to an array, will essentially split up the array into its elements, so wrapping the [ ] around it will put them back together in a different array without mutating the original array.

1 Like

Thanks, that explains it.

hi, is this correct?

newArr.splice(1, 0,[…arr]);