Debugging a nested loop - my solution passed the tests, but is it correct?

I’ve passed the Use Caution When Reinitializing Variables Inside a Loop challenge by simply unfolding the loops. Then I wanted to see how other people and FCC solved it, because my solution felt like cheating :joy:
Needless to say, FCC and other campers solved it as it was instructed: by reinitializing the row variable. So, I wonder, whether I’ve actually found another way around to create matrix arrays or just fell into a “loophole” in the tests, and it hides that my solution is actually wrong?

function zeroArray(m, n) {
let newArray = [];
let row = [];
for (let i = 0; i < m; i++) {
    newArray.push(row);
}
  for (let j = 0; j < n; j++) {
    row.push(0);
  }
return newArray;
}
let matrix = zeroArray(3, 2);
console.log(matrix);

I think, I understand, why we need to reinitialize the row before the column loop.
Thanks to this answer, I figured that, when we don’t reset and basically declare new row to push n-amount of zeros, it’ll drag around the same row in every iteration of both loops.

My reasoning is that, before fixing the initial code, we push the row in newArray and it’s like newArray=[row, row, row] where row is the same variable that we change in the nested loop, so, when we change row, all nested arrays change too.
And we get

[ [ 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 ],
  [ 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 ],
  [ 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 ] ]

and not

[ [ 0, 0 ],
  [ 0, 0, 0, 0 ],
  [ 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 ] ]

Initial code with consoles that helps to see it:

function zeroArray(m, n) {
  let newArray = [];
  let row = [];
  for (let i = 0; i < m; i++) {
    console.log(newArray);
    for (let j = 0; j < n; j++) {
      row.push(0);
      console.log(row);
    }
    newArray.push(row);
  }
  return newArray;
}
let matrix = zeroArray(3, 2);
console.log(matrix);

That displays mid-results:

[]
[ 0 ]
[ 0, 0 ]
[ [ 0, 0 ] ]
//here it remembers the previous zeros and adds more
//because it still operates with the same variable
[ 0, 0, 0 ] 
[ 0, 0, 0, 0 ] 
//it changes all row arrays in the newArray
// because - again - they're all the same variable
[ [ 0, 0, 0, 0 ], [ 0, 0, 0, 0 ] ]
[ 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 ]
[ 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 ]
[ [ 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 ],
  [ 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 ],
  [ 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 ] ]

So when we declare the row back to [] before going to the inner loop, it means that we operate with a new row variable that happens to have the same name for our convenience, right?
It’s the same newArray=[row, row, row] but this time every row is created anew before we push zeros into it and then add it to the newArray.
And in my solution I’m not reinitilizing the row. It remembers newArray as an array that holds three values of the same variable - row, that will be later changed by adding n zeros in the second loop.

(Also for some cryptic reason, it reminds me the variable’s scope, but it might as well just be an association.)

**Your browser information:**

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:95.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/95.0

Challenge: Use Caution When Reinitializing Variables Inside a Loop

Link to the challenge:

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think that you want to actually use this solution. I’m surprised that the test doesn’t check for this. Try setting only matrix[0][0] = 1 without changing any other rows. What happens?

I guess they didn’t expect someone to be this unfocused while reading the instructions :see_no_evil:.
I tried setting matrix[0][0] = 1 and it changed all first zeros inside all three row parts. So, does it mean that my reasoning was right and when I unfolded the loops they created a newArray that just has three values of the same variable - row?

[ [ 0, 0 ], [ 0, 0 ], [ 0, 0 ] ]
[ [ 1, 0 ], [ 1, 0 ], [ 1, 0 ] ]

Because when I tried resetting the first zero in the first row in newArray, but with the correctly fixed code, it did change only one zero in one row:

[ [ 0, 0 ], [ 0, 0 ], [ 0, 0 ] ]
[ [ 1, 0 ], [ 0, 0 ], [ 0, 0 ] ]

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.