Depriciated stuff in mongodb course

Tell us what’s happening:
Model.remove() is depriciated

Your project link(s)

solution: https://replit.com/@volcareso/boilerplate-mongomongoose

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/96.0.4664.45 Safari/537.36

Challenge: Delete Many Documents with model.remove()

Link to the challenge:

As libraries evolve, I would suspect that there will be deprecated things that pop up. It’s not always a terrible thing - depending on how long ago the deprecation took place, etc. People may still be using the deprecated method in a lot of places. Remember that “deprecated” only refers to the new versions of the library - it is still in use in older versions.

This particular one, it seems to me, is a very simple change that would take someone a couple of seconds to figure out and correct.

I haven’t done these lessons - they didn’t exist when I did FCC. Does it require you to use a specific version of the package?

1 Like

Welcome there,

As mentioned by @kevinSmith , you are asked to install a specific version of Mongoose: https://www.freecodecamp.org/learn/back-end-development-and-apis/mongodb-and-mongoose/install-and-set-up-mongoose

As such, the method is deprecated, but not in the old version.

Hope this clarifies

2 Likes

Yeah, I think it’s going to be impossible to constantly update lessons. In cases where it is a major breaking change or is a very old change, it might be worth looking into. But in this case, it is such a minor change, I don’t know if it is worth the effort.

But thank you, @volcareso, for being observant and taking the time to report it.

I don’t know, I don’t think we should do anything in this case, but I’m just one vote.

I used the boiler plate provided :l

I used the specific versions but it’s not working

I have checked your package.json file

Try providing a caret symbol for both mongodb and mongoose so it fixes the issues by looking into other minor updates.

It should work then.