Depriciated stuff in mongodb course

Tell us what’s happening:
Model.remove() is depriciated

Your project link(s)

solution: https://replit.com/@volcareso/boilerplate-mongomongoose

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/96.0.4664.45 Safari/537.36

Challenge: Delete Many Documents with model.remove()

Link to the challenge:

As libraries evolve, I would suspect that there will be deprecated things that pop up. It’s not always a terrible thing - depending on how long ago the deprecation took place, etc. People may still be using the deprecated method in a lot of places. Remember that “deprecated” only refers to the new versions of the library - it is still in use in older versions.

This particular one, it seems to me, is a very simple change that would take someone a couple of seconds to figure out and correct.

I haven’t done these lessons - they didn’t exist when I did FCC. Does it require you to use a specific version of the package?

1 Like

Welcome there,

As mentioned by @kevinSmith , you are asked to install a specific version of Mongoose: https://www.freecodecamp.org/learn/back-end-development-and-apis/mongodb-and-mongoose/install-and-set-up-mongoose

As such, the method is deprecated, but not in the old version.

Hope this clarifies

2 Likes

Yeah, I think it’s going to be impossible to constantly update lessons. In cases where it is a major breaking change or is a very old change, it might be worth looking into. But in this case, it is such a minor change, I don’t know if it is worth the effort.

But thank you, @volcareso, for being observant and taking the time to report it.

I don’t know, I don’t think we should do anything in this case, but I’m just one vote.

I used the boiler plate provided :l

I used the specific versions but it’s not working

I have checked your package.json file

Try providing a caret symbol for both mongodb and mongoose so it fixes the issues by looking into other minor updates.

It should work then.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.