Feeling overwhelmed

Hi, I am brand new at coding and I feel super overwhelmed and discouraged. Any advice on how to feel better?

3 Likes

Coding is hard. The only way to get better is to practice a lot and to make lots of mistakes.

2 Likes

Dude, sucking at something is the first step towards being sot of good at something

What has helped me a lot is getting an accountability partner for my learning goals of the same level.

1. Do NOT learn alone, join motivated team

2. Have weekly ( + quarterly ) goals and stick to them

3. Follow pomodoro technique for time ( + stress ) management

4. Use Flash cards to remember things.

Checkout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKvK2foOTJM&ab_channel=TEDxTalks

The phase where my motivation switched from negative to positive: using my knowledge to build something (even if it’s very small and simple).

You will see, that you forget almost everything when it comes to practice. But you will look things up and recap what you have learned. All the things you have learnt will start to make sense. That’s when you see, all the time spent was useful. => Motivation++

Feeling overwhelmed is completely normal. However, you have come to the right place: hang around here, work your way through the responsive web design course (for example), ask questions, and start working on little projects of your own.

If you keep at it, you’ll start to get your bearings, and remember that we all use Google to help fill in the gaps of what we know.

Best of luck! :smile:

Same as you, I’m also new to coding. And sometimes when a specific code doesn’t work and I can’t figure out why, I feel extremely frustrated and overwhelmed. My strategy is to try for about an hour, and if it’s still not fixed, I set it aside and work on something else or take a break. Then, the next day, I wake up early in the morning and give that code another try. Sometimes it works because in the morning, your mind is fresh and fully charged.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m new as well, and right now, I working my way through the responsive web design practices. I also get very frustrated when I don’t understand a term or cannot remember how to use it at that moment. When that occurs, I usually use ChatGpt just to reach the definitions and usage examples quickly of how to use any tag or elements, etc…, and this forum by reading the comments of experienced developers. For me, it is less complicated than Google since Google has thousands of answers to one question:) Also, know that you are not alone; coding is hard, and we must practice daily to digest the knowledge. Good luck!