Find the Longest Word in a String (without using the split method)

Please dont judge me I’m a newbie, but I have a question about how approach this problem . I’m wondering how to solve this without using the str.split method. The reason why I’m asking is because when I clicked on the Get a hint button it immediately tells me to split a string into an array of words , but after looking back at some of the challenges I have not really been taught how to do that.

so far I have pushed the string into an array but I have no way of splitting off each individual word to find its individual length.

my thought process so far is :

1. put the string into an array (done )

2. separate each word (without using str.split)

3. find the length of each word ( using the .length method)

4. store and compare each length of the string ( still trying to think of ways to do that )

I know that there is basically no code for ya’ll to review and comment on but I’m having a really hard time approaching this. I already solved the problem by copy pasting but I hate myself for doing that and it didnt help me understand anything.

Your code so far

function findLongestWordLength(str) {
    let words = []

words.push(str);

console.log(words)

}

findLongestWordLength("The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog");

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; CrOS x86_64 11316.148.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/72.0.3626.117 Safari/537.36.

Link to the challenge:
https://learn.freecodecamp.org/javascript-algorithms-and-data-structures/basic-algorithm-scripting/find-the-longest-word-in-a-string

ok so after taking your advice my current code looks like this:

var longestWord = "";  // what do I initialize this with?
  var currentWord = "";

// unsure about the use of str.length for this loop 
  for (var i = 0; i < str.length; i++) {
// iterate through the strings individual characters and spaces to "build a word" (is this right?) 
}
// set the "built" word to the current word (I use psuedocode here) 
currentWord = "built" word 

// comparing the built words (I use psuedocode here}
if (the current word is the longest){
the longest word will be equal to the  built word 
}
else if (
the new built word is longer than the current word
 ){ set the longest word equal to the newly built word}

I honestly feel stupid for not really figuring it out after you’ve given me such a big hint , I’m also definitely unsure if I’m going in the right direction ( currently looking through the regex problems and loops problems to see if I can “build” a word ) .

where should I go from here?

This is very frustrating , I’m still having huge issues. so now I’ve initialized the two variables with quotes “” but my for loop isnt working and I dont know why.

Think back to the Concatenating Strings with the Plus Equals Operator challenge for how you could build word.

so I looked at that and solved the problem but what was I supposed to get out of it? my loop doesnt seem to want to build the string. when I try to get it to print out a word it prints out a single letter

let currentWord = ""
  let longestWord = ""

for (let i = 0 ; i <str.length; i++){
    return currentWord += str[i];
  }
if (currentWord.length > longestWord.length) longestWord = currentWord; 
    } else {
      currentWord="" ;
    }
  }
  if (currentWord > longestWord) longestWord = currentWord; 
  return longestWord;
}

}

findLongestWordLength("The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog");

I am I just not smart enough to put all of these lessons together ? should I just give up on being a programmer ? it seems like I just cant grasp fundamental concepts to do something very simple even with major hints.

Please don’t put yourself down. You are doing fine.

I was sure that this was going to work :

let currentWord = ""
  let longestWord = ""

for (let i = 0 ; i <str.length; i++){
    if(str[i] === " "){
      if (currentWord.length > longestWord.length) longestWord = currentWord; 
      currentWord ="";
    } 
    else {
     currentWord += str[i];
  }
  }

return longestWord.length;
}

for some reason it satisfies everything but the last requirement ( I asked someone what you meant by the concatenation and the showed me the currentWord += str[i] which made me feel extra dumb for something so simple) I figured out the str[i] === " " on my own which felt good but what am I missing?

Maybe I don’t understand fully, but why are you returning longestWord.length instead of just the word?

its part of this challenge problem :

https://learn.freecodecamp.org/javascript-algorithms-and-data-structures/basic-algorithm-scripting/find-the-longest-word-in-a-string

It may be that in the last test the longest word is at the end of the string? You are missing that, because in that case the if statement doesn’t execute as it is checking for a space - you can do it in two ways here, change the string before looping over it, or change something in your loop

1 Like

@Quantumike this is solution which you was looking for

<redacted>

It is great that you solved the challenge, but instead of posting your full working solution, it is best to stay focused on answering the original poster’s question(s) and help guide them with hints and suggestions to solve their own issues with the challenge.

If you want to compare your solution to others, use the Get a hint button on the challenge and there are alternative solutions you can compare yours to. Also, you can probably search older posts using the forum search feature or google the challenge name and find more there.

We are trying to cut back on the number of spoiler solutions found on the forum and instead focus on helping other campers with their questions and definitely not posting full working solutions.

Thank you for understanding.

1 Like