freeCodeCamp: Basic Node and Express - Use .env file

Tell us what’s happening:
Hi, I’m newbie and start learning Nodejs on freeCodeCamp. I’m at the lesson “https://www.freecodecamp.org/learn/apis-and-microservices/basic-node-and-express/use-the--env-file” and get stuck there. Please help me check my code and correct it. Thanks.

Your code so far

require('dotenv').config();
var express = require('express');
var app = express();

console.log("Hello World");
app.get("/json", function(req, res) {
  if (process.env.MESSAGE_STYLE === "uppercase") {
  res.send("{message: " + "Hello Json".toUpperCase() + "}");
  } else {
  res.send("{message: Hello Json");
  }
});
app.use(express.static(__dirname + "/public"));
module.exports = app;

** Result message **
The response of the endpoint /json should change according to the environment variable MESSAGE_STYLE

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/87.0.4280.66 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Use the .env File

Link to the challenge:

Have you included a .env file in the root of the project?

To be clear, the .env file is literally called .env, that’s not an extension, it’s the whole name - that catches people out sometimes…

Welcome, there.

I recommend you go over the previous lesson:
Basic Node and Express - Serve JSON on a Specific Route | Learn | freeCodeCamp.org

Specifically:

Inside the route handler, use the method res.json() , passing in an object as an argument. This method closes the request-response loop, returning the data. Behind the scenes, it converts a valid JavaScript object into a string, then sets the appropriate headers to tell your browser that you are serving JSON, and sends the data back. A valid object has the usual structure {key: data} . data can be a number, a string, a nested object or an array. data can also be a variable or the result of a function call, in which case it will be evaluated before being converted into a string.

Hope this helps

I did. Thanks Jackson.

I did a mistake using the method res.send(). Thanks.