freeCodeCamp Challenge Guide: Use RGB to Mix Colors

Use RGB to Mix Colors

Problem Explanation

Within the <style> element, we need to change the hexcode colour #000000 within the color element in these classes:

• .red-text
  • .orchid-text
  • .sienna-text
  • .blue-text

We are provided a table where the table shows the RBG values of the colours for these required classes shown here:

Colour RGB
Blue rgb(0, 0, 255)
Red rgb(255, 0, 0)
Orchid rgb(218, 112, 214)
Sienna rgb(160, 82, 45)

Example:
In order to change the hexcode colour of a class within the style element, we simply replace the hexcode itself with the RGB value shown below.

Before

<style>
  .ClassName {
    color: #000000;
}
</style>

After

<style>
.ClassName {
  color: rgb(255, 255, 255); /*this represents the rgb value of the colour, white*/
}
</style>

Note: In the class,.ClassName, within the <style> element, the color has changed from a hexcode of #000000 into the rgb value, rgb(255, 255, 255), which shows that the color of the class .ClassName has changed from black to white in the <style> element.

Solutions

Solution 1 (Click to Show/Hide)

From the Problem above, we need to change #000000 from the color element in the <style> element, into the given RGB values from the table based on the colour that the class needs. For example, the class .red-text clearly needs their color element to be changed from #000000 into a red colour, where the table gives us the rgb value of rgb(255, 0, 0) for the colour red, which is shown below:

Before changing color of class .red-text

<style>
  .red-text {
}
</style>

After changing color of class .red-text

<style>
.red-text {
  color: rgb(255, 0, 0); /* Color has changed into red when we used this rgb value from the table*/
}
</style>

We will follow the same steps for the rest of the classes shown here:

Before changing color of other classes

<style>
  .orchid-text {
}
  .sienna-text {
} 
  .blue-text {
}  
</style>

After changing color of other classes

<style>
  .orchid-text {
    color: rgb(218, 112, 214); /*Color has changed into orchid when we used this rgb value from the table*/
}
  .sienna-text {
    color: rgb(160, 82, 45); /* Color has changed into sienna when we used this rgb value from the table*/
}
  .blue-text {
    color: rgb(0, 0, 255); /* Color has changed into blue when we used this rgb value from the table*/
}
</style>

Final Solution
Hence, the final solution reveals that we have changed the color element of these text classes with rgb values shown below:

<style>
  .red-text {
    color: rgb(255, 0, 0);
  }
  .orchid-text {
    color: rgb(218, 112, 214);
  }
  .sienna-text {
    color: rgb(160, 82, 45);
  }
  .blue-text {
    color: rgb(0, 0, 255);
  }
</style>

<h1 class="red-text">I am red!</h1>

<h1 class="orchid-text">I am orchid!</h1>

<h1 class="sienna-text">I am sienna!</h1>

<h1 class="blue-text">I am blue!</h1>

Relevant Links

MDN web docs: Applying color to HTML elements using CSS

W3schools Color Picker

3 Likes

Feeling pretty dumb here, not getting this one at all. Repeatedly running into this issue where I can eventually figure it out, despite any clear instruction or guidance. The instructions are really lacking for many of these. I’d like to know what and why I’m doing this, instead of making educated guesses after the fact.

11 Likes