freeCodeCamp's new certificates - here's how we're rolling them out

This sounds brilliant! I really look forward to getting stuck into the new certificates.

So will the new certificates be integrated into this website? Or do we have to sign up on the beta site? I tried signing up the other day but it kept telling me there was an error with the link…

You don’t need to sign up on the beta website. The new certificates and challenges will become the new freecodecamp. All progress on the beta site will be deleted, so there isn’t much of a point for you to sign up there.

Ah okay, thank you for your reply, that was what I was hoping for. :slight_smile:

Really can’t wait for this, do we have any idea when this will happen?

1 Like

Will happen when it happens. I thought it would be done by last new year’s :persevere:

2 Likes

I’m wondering too! :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s getting close! I believe that all that is left to do is finish the final 3 items under the todo section and it can ship.
https://github.com/freeCodeCamp/freeCodeCamp/projects/1

Source: You can help us ship Beta in time for Christmas

EDIT: it looks like only 1 of the 3 items on the TODO list is still open, so it looks like this is the only challenge stopping release:

2 Likes

@IsaacAbrahamson From my viewpoint, there are people (example) who seem to be having difficulty accessing and working with the beta challenges. Everything seems to be working ok from my viewpoint and on my systems, but I’ve heard of at least three different people having issues similar to the example above in the past few days, so I’m wondering if something’s being missed somewhere?

1 Like

Difficulty logging in doesn’t count… logins are currently only enabled for a small qa team.

@JacksonBates I don’t think it’s a login problem that they’re having. From the way it’s described to me, it’s a problem going through the challenges, moving from one to the next, and being able to access challenges by clicking on them in the map.

1 Like

We’re still working on ironing out all the bugs, some of which are mission critical and haven’t yet been added to the project kanban. I plan to update the board them with Berkeley in the next day or two, so we’ll have a better idea of what needs to be done still.

We are making steady progress. Know that we will not ship until we’re confident we’ve addressed critical known issues. Thanks for your patience! :slight_smile:

11 Likes

@QuincyLarson I trust you and your effort :slight_smile: Thank you for such great life changing opportunity :))

2 Likes

Thank you so much for creating this platform to transform the lives of so many people.
:relaxed:

3 Likes

@QuincyLarson thanks for your big effort and contribution to the community. You have changed lives including mine giving us the opportunity to learn and prove to the tech companies the skills got via FreeCodeCamp

2 Likes

That’s great news and awesome

1 Like

My personal opinion is that it is better to keep them on the mind. Mostly because there are so much more information on the Youtube that the one can easily get lost within it. It is always a better solution to keep all things in one spot.

I don’t mind helping, but I’m afraid my webdev skills aren’t going to be of any use. I’m not a multimedia expert, either. Is there some other way I can assist?

What is this about?

@GaitaBenone While it is true that a degree isn’t the same as a certification, to say that certifications don’t care any weight with employers, nor does it necessarily hold true that all employers require degrees for prospective employees. Google is an excellent example - they prioritize skill and the ability to work in teams over degrees. Numerous industries use and value certificates. The fact that many schools use FCC, and that it is recognized by LinkedIn, gives added weight to a certificate from here. However, not all sites are equal, and in regards to sites that are not standardized, like Udemy, certifications may not have any value unless the employer recognizes it as valuable (like for Colt Steele’s course, which is famous in the IT community).

Sadly, there many employers with tunnel-vision, and they can’t see beyond the highly variable quality of a college or university degree. To give an extreme example: If you became a doctor in the Philippines, then emigrated to here (the USA), you would need to go back to school before you could practice medicine here. This problem is true in many countries because requiring a degree is the lazy man’s way of determining a candidate’s value. Having a certificate or degree doesn’t guarantee your quality, although it does indicate a certain amount of effort was applied. You can get a teaching degree and be a horrible teacher, for example. Thus, it is better to have a certification than nothing, and a degree is often better than a cert. I have a highly skilled friend who wasn’t able to be re-employed in the IT world despite decades of experience because he lacked a degree. Yet another friend, a famous hacker, went through similar problems. I have another friend who is an amazing program and is famous within the IT community even now who felt he MUST go back to university in order to do well in IT despite his massive skills.

HRD at a company (excepting IT companies, perhaps) is unlikely to understand much about this, so having a certificate and portfolio is very helpful if you don’t have a degree, whereas someone within the IT team will quickly be able to figure out if you’re worth hiring from a technical standpoint. Think of HRD as the gatekeepers; get past them to an interview with someone who understands IT and your chance of getting hired increases massively.

2 Likes

@QuincyLarson/others, I just signed up to freecodecamp and was routed towards the existing 4 certificates option; should I keep working on that or start on the beta curriculum? if I start on beta will everything I work on transfer over/be saved to my account? conversely, if I start on the old certificates will i still be able to claim them or have that work transfer to the new system, even tho I signed up past the Dec 31st cut-off date (as have, I’m sure, many other ppl who don’t know there’s a new certificate system being rolled out soon)…

1 Like

I’ve been working on the legacy freecodecamp for the last month and just found out yesterday about beta. I can’t remember where I read Quincy Larson’s statement on the beta roll out but as long as you’re in with legacy you will be fine- none of the curriculum is going away and you’ll still be able to work on it once beta goes for wide release.
That being said, as soon as I found out about beta I started working on it and there is a lot more. Which, it’s more comprehensive, seems like a plus. I read here that any work done in beta won’t be saved, but all you have to provide to receive the certificates are the projects, so if you already worked on them just provide the link to the codepen project.

2 Likes

If i understand well.

“Beta has a totally separate database, and we won’t merge any of the old data when beta becomes production. This is the main reason we disabled account creation on beta - so people don’t get attached to their progress there, and so we don’t have to explain to everyone that progress on beta is ephemeral.”

We should not work on Beta, right now. Looking to be sure about that too, if possible.

1 Like

You can work on beta if you wish, you will just need to save your work manually. Never hurts to have a head start.

2 Likes