Freelance work for experience?

@jaBedford no problem man, I can see your a busy man.
Started looking on your Instagram, aaaand it’s 1.50 a.m. daughter will wake me at 7, have to get some sleep. You really revealed a world I didn’t know existed.
Think I’m going to make a new account just for my programming adventures :blush:. Since I’m going to start freelancing real soon, might be cool to start posting about it.
Going to start my first gig this week, website for my brother, he’s a lawyer so he needs a serious website, pay is pretty good too.
Speak to you soon!

2 Likes

I think if I could start again I would have focused on writing more of a blog style. A lot of people have been on there and started 0/365 or 0/100 days of coding and posted every day and I guess it is a good way to keep yourself accountable whilst also networking.

Im glad buddy, like I say it has helped me out massively. Don’t be afraid to reach out to the people with 20k+ posts as well… most of them are friendly enough :slightly_smiling_face: Give us a follow and send us a message when you are set up and I look forward to following your progress. :ok_hand:

Nice one buddy! That should be a good experience. I am looking for some more work at the minute, so I will start reaching out to people again soon.

1 Like

goodluck on your journey guys. I’ve just picked up a couple of wordpress jobs as well so i’m gonna immerse myself in that for a while and you’ve inspired me to create an instagram and twitter for coding. I’ll give you a follow @JABedford. What’s your handle @Reinoud-Zuyderhoff?

I’m here btw
https://www.instagram.com/glyn.webdev/

1 Like

There are plenty of ways to find jobs.

You can try those sites, plus fiverr, golance.com, upwork.com, and many others. Check out my Upwork-related tips here: https://www.onlinejobsplus.com

You can network with friends or local small businesses. You can also use social media (particularly LinkedIn) to find jobs or connect with companies you like.

I suggest you try several of these until you find the best medium for you.

I just started following you, only got two posts yet so far, tomorrow I’m going to post another.

1 Like

A few tips I picked up from some programmers from Madison, WI.

One guy stated that he’s one of the top Wordpress programmers in the area, and commands $75-100/hour. He’s been doing this a long time and apparently can do front-end, back-end and web design, too.

The other guy charges less, and focuses on front-end and Wordpress.

They both agree that Wordpress is ridiculously easy, and in demand. It’s ironic that a layer between programmers and users that was designed to make website-making accessible to more people has become the lazy programmer’s way of making good money!

I asked about doing pro bono work and they both felt that it was a waste of time. I personally think that if it was high profile and your name would definitely be given credit on the site, it’d be good but, otherwise, you might want to think twice…or thrice about it.

The one other bit of advice they gave, and perhaps the most important, is don’t undersell your services. It’s always best to start with a high salary requirement, which gives you more leeway to give a discount for a special reason, but if you start low, it’s hard to increase your price once the word gets out that you’re “cheap.”

Also, they warned against taking on jobs that are low salary because they said that these people are usually the stingiest, raise the most fuss, waste more of your time, and demand far more than people who pay more. I’m sure there are exceptions to the rule, but they told me some stories…

2 Likes

Hey @Reinoud-Zuyderhoff!
Not sure is still actual for you, but still :slight_smile:
I work as a freelance developer on Upwork from January-February this year, you could take a look at my profile (I hope it doesn’t count as an ad), my profile is open, so you could check my achievements there.
I’m not sure it’s a good idea to take this platform as a training place. To get a job you really have to make efforts.
Another cons against Upwork, they have a lot of freelancers and not so many clients and Upwork administration treats you very bad. They can block your account down for any reason (It already happened to me, but I manage to unblock it).
In the beginning, the salary could be really little (~1000$/month). It’s okay if you live in a cheap country like me, but it’s not really great for living in Europe and USA for example.
The real thing is there are no alternative places for the freelance nowadays, so it’s better to try to create a relationship with clients directly, but it’s even harder.
So, as you can see it’s not a good place for training.
If you or anybody else have any questions I can try to answer it here or on Twitter.

1 Like

Websites like Upwork will just waste your time. I talked to friends and family told them I’m creating websites and I have made Four wordpress websites already.
If money is mainly your goal at the moment try wordpress.

1 Like

I don’t understand. How wordpress is going to gain you any money?

@ndirangu I registered for upwork but never took any job. The thing that happened to you worked for me. There were friends and family around me who needed a website that they could update, so I made a wordpress website for them. Now I work for a company that maintains about 40 websites. All build with WordPress.
@OGTechnoBoy and that’s how WordPress is giving me enough income right now, in the future I’ll be able to charge about double I do now so that’s looking good. I’m currently learning how to make plugins, which is pretty awesome

2 Likes

WordPress is in high demand, especially since a lot of people want some customization.

Hi @JABedford, That’s great way to use social media, I am after work too and I know some of my connections in need of websites and or wanted to upgrade it but I always having fear asking then actually worried about having ‘No’ reply. I would like to know how did you convene them ? Did you have an extra ordinary portfolio websites to show them or by your attitude ? Cheers, Monika.

People who start their sites on Wordpress don’t want to have to learn how to customize it, even the easy stuff that anyone can do on Wordpress, and if they want it highly customized, they don’t want to have to go through the hassle of learning all the languages necessary or hiring a full-time webdev, so they use freelancers.

Personally, I wouldn’t recommend Fiverr and Upwork, but it’s really up to you.

1 Like

What would you recommend over Fiverr and Upwork?

I’m afraid that I have not explored other options, yet. I feel that, with the long list of freelancers already there, it is hard to get clientele. And, at least on Fiverr, if you misprice your services you’ll end up not just shortchanging yourself (or pricing yourself out of the market) but also everyone else doing that work will suffer and the wages for that type of work could drop for everyone. Feel free to explore the other websites I listed and let me know if you feel you’ve found something good! I’ll even mention your name in my article if you give me good info! :slight_smile:

1 Like

hello dmitrii , how much time u learnt coding before started freelance work??

Hi! I think I learned for about 4-5 month then I got a job as a developer in the office and worked there for 9 months. Then I quit and went to freelance.

1 Like