Front end designer project, expert help needed please

Tell us what’s happening:
Describe your issue in detail here.
Hello,

Maybe it’s that I haven’t paid attention as much as I should have, or I have a horrible memory and need more practice to “sink things in” (we only practiced each lesson once I think in the online curriculum?) … but I looked at the code for the example page (on codepin) that the lesson asked me to use to help me build my own tribute page… Tasks 1-7 are all on the example page’s code (both the html and css). But I am confused when it come to tasks 8-9. Nowhere on the example page’s code does it have the word “center” or anything to do with being responsive. I do see that the example page’s code does have this though: "max-width: 100%, and I know that is actually the last PART of task 8, but the first part of task 8 says to resize responsively… aren’t we supposed to add more to the css than what the example page shows? The example page is responsive and the image is centered, yet it doesn’t seem to have any code to make that happen. So I’m confused and think I missed something in a lesson maybe??Please explain. Thank you!

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/97.0.4692.71 Safari/537.36

Challenge: Build a Tribute Page

Link to the challenge:

It’s next to impossible to help without you providing a link to your code.

I will say that when a test fails click the red button to see which test(s) are failing and text to help you correct the issue.
Be sure and read more than just the first line of the failing message. The ability to read and comprehend error messages is a skill you’ll need to acquire as a developer. Ask questions on what you don’t understand.

On a side note, it’s not a good thing to reference the sample projects. They show one way the project can be completed. When you look at that solution you’re defeating the purpose of you coming up with your own solution.

It’s next to impossible to help without you providing a link to your code.

I don’t have any code. I can’t go forward with making the code until I understand this one confusion, hence asking here. (if you’re talking about the link to the lesson that asks us to build a tribute page with 9 tasks, it is at the bottom of my post). Thank you.

margin: auto; will divide the free space in a parent container equally, between left/right, top/bottom.
The image in the example project has the rule margin: 0 auto; , which is a shorthand property meaning, set top and bottom margins to zero and divide horizontal space between left and right margins

You should be writing code rather than referring to the sample code. The hardest part of coding is looking at a problem and coming up with a plan to solve that problem. Starting out by looking at someone else’s code completely bypasses that step.

And while some people give out answers we try not to do that.
I know what you’re referencing and you can review this lesson - To center an element horizontally, revisit this lesson

If you read the instructions for the project, the very first line of instructions it gives us is to use the example page for reference, in case we need help. Remember as stated previously, this is the very first project, and up into this point of the curriculum, the lessons only asked us to practise each thing once. So of course we would need a reference page, we literally have NO practise with CSS before this. And I wasn’t going to just copy the reference page, like you assumed, when you told me it defeats the purpose because I should just “do my own”. I AM doing my own. But I need to first get to grips with exactly what I am supposed to be doing, having absolutely no practise before this. This is a beginner tutorial. Put yourself in my shoes, Please don’t assume. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.