Front end developer career advice

Hi i just start learning html and css and i am interested on get a job on this so far (mabye i move to some more like software coding but right now i am fine with this) and i have a few questions
1.In this moment front end is something with jobs available(i live in california) or i need something else in my knoweledge or what is the best path to start i am just following the order this boot camp show me and i like it
2.i need to know to use any specialized software like Adobe Dreamweaver or just with a good text editor i am fine
3.I need to know about desing and how to use tools like photoshop
Thanks

Hi @cuasitos !

I guess my main question is if you are interested in web design or front end development.

You are mentioning learning photoshop and design so I wasn’t sure.

If you are interested in web design, then you are can research these articles

For web development, I would get really good with html, css and javascript.
Those are the core languages for web development.
It would also be good to learn a framework like react.
At a bare minimum, I would do the first three certifications.

2 Likes

I usually recommend working backwards. So start with looking at jobs you can apply to and see what they are asking for, and what the overall job market looks like. As I also live in California (southern California specifically) I can say there are a good amount of jobs, but a lot of the ones I see are often full-stack, or at least require front-end framework knowledge. I personally don’t see too many jobs for “designer-type” roles which are focused more on building the UI, and less about implementing it with code, but then I’m not really looking for these jobs for me.

As a disclaimer, the job sites I skim over are usually geared toward my skillset, so I’m just providing my own anecdotal evidence. I suggest you go into some job sites, add your skills and see what comes up yourself to get the most relevant numbers and results :slight_smile:

Most roles and companies usually have a set number of tools used (“IE industry standards”). As I mentioned above, a good idea to know what they are looking for is look at jobs and their requirements.

Good luck!

In this moment front end is something with jobs available(i live in california) or i need something else in my knoweledge or what is the best path to start i am just following the order this boot camp show me and i like it

I would say that at a bare minimum, you need a solid frontend and at least a little backend experience. The FCC curriculum gives you are solid foundation for that.

i need to know to use any specialized software like Adobe Dreamweaver or just with a good text editor i am fine

I don’t know anyone that uses DW anymore. I don’t know how relevant DW is nowadays. A quick look on GlassDoor for job postings for California show 148 hits for “Dreamweaver”. But it shows 7,765 hits for “React”. Which do you think will help your job search better? When in doubt, figure out what employers are needing.

I need to know about desing and how to use tools like photoshop

Many developers are terrible at design. That being said, learning the basics can be good. A lot of this can be picked up just be being more aware as your using sites and maybe checking out some blogs, etc. Learning the basics of something like photoshop can be good. I personally didn’t want to shell out the money so I often use the free GIMP. As I work on stuff I often have to make tiny adjustments, but I don’t know much beyond the basics.

There is no perfect path. Don’t worry about it. Just find a good path and work at it. Learn and build things - that’s what matters. And FCC offers a good path to the base of a solid MERN stack.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.