Help Please - Adding CSS BG Color Call Changes Text Alignment

Hello!
I’m new here, so please forgive me if I’m in the wrong subforum. I’ve searched for previous threads regarding my issues, but I did not find anything.

I’m very grateful for any help you can provide.

Maybe someone can help me understand what I’ve done wrong. I added a line to my CSS to change the page BG color, which it does, but it also changed the page alignment.

Here is a “before and after” image of the page. On the left is the original page with correct alignment and no BG color. On the right is the page after adding a BG color CSS call - the page alignment ignores the CSS alignment call:

This is the CSS without the CSS BG color call:

<style>
body
{
	text-align: center;
}

div#container
{
	margin-left: auto;
	margin-right: auto;
	width: 50em;
	text-align: left;
}
</style>

This is the CSS with the BG color call:

<style>
body
{
  background-color: b2b1b1;
}
{
}

div#container
{
	margin-left: auto;
	margin-right: auto;
	width: 50em;
	text-align: left;
}
</style>

Thank you in advance for any assistance and guidance you can share.

Regards,
RR

SOLVED!
I just figured out my problem…

I removed the BG Color call from the CSS and turned it into an inline call on the BODY TAG:

<body style="background-color:b2b1b1;">

Works perfectly! The background color is now the new color and the elements on the page are aligned properly.

Sorry for the trouble!

Thank you!
RR

look at the text-align: center in the second style.your problem is there.find it!:wink:

Hi @Ruthyruth, that’s not a good way to solve it though. You should stay away from inline styling and stick with external styling.

The reason you saw a problem was because you removed the property and value text-align: center; from the body declaration. It’s in a set of curly braces but assigned to nothing.
As you did in your div#container declaration, you have more than one set of property and value. That’s all you need to do with the body.

So it should be;

body {
  background-color: #b2b1b1;
}

As an aside, b2b1b1 isn’t a color. It needs to be specified as #b2b1b1