How can you have a global variable defined inside a scope?

I am trying to have this exercise resolved by following the theory of having a global variable defined outside of a scope, however, when I do that, the function is not referring to function i.

The solution for this exercise is confusing me even more, as I see that no variable is even declared outside of the scope. Here is the code I am trying to have working out.

what am I missing ?

**Your code so far**

let i = 'function scope';

function checkScope() {
if (let i = "block scope";) {  
  console.log('Block scope i is: ', i);
}
console.log('Function scope i is: ', i);
return i;
}

console.log(checkScope());

**Your browser information:**

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:93.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/93.0

Challenge: Compare Scopes of the var and let Keywords

Link to the challenge:

I canā€™t even run that code because you put the declaration into the if-condition.

The ā€œscopeā€ for ā€œletā€ is everything inside the {} where itā€™s written within and all ā€œchildrenā€ (nested {} ). Meaning once you close these brackets, the variable will no longer exist.

So far for the scope.
If you put the declaration into the if-case instead of the condition, you might even get a reasonable result.

1 Like

Putting a variable declaration inside an if condition doesnā€™t make any sense, but if we ignore that bitā€¦ You have declared two different i variables because you used let both times. Declaring a local variable that happens to have the same name as a global variable is fine. Within the scope of the local variable, that name will refer to the local variable and the global one will be untouched.

1 Like

Yest youā€™re right, the declaration should go outside of the if-condition but I am still trying to figure out the solution published on this exercise as it shows an apparent function of global scope inside a block function.

I am still puzzled of why this is not a valid solution to this exercise, considering that the global function is defined outside of the scope

let i = 'function scope';

function checkScope() {
  if (true) {  
    let i = "block scope";
    console.log('Block scope i is: ', i);
  }
  console.log('Function scope i is: ', i);
  return i;
}

console.log(checkScope());

You gave this variable the value ā€œfunction scopeā€ but it isnā€™t in the function scope. Itā€™s in the global scope because it is outside the function.

You are right in general - however the test cases donā€™t include a test for that.
Instead itā€™s failing the ā€œi in the if-statement should be ā€˜block scopeā€™ā€ test. Even though this isnā€™t affected.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.