How long should I study and How am I going to know what I am good at?

I have been studyin 8 hours a day for a month to be a full stack developer.
1 hour: revision
1 hour: a course from udemy with practices
1 hour: w3schools with practices
1 hour: youtube tutorial with practices
1 hour: a course from coursera with practices
3 hours: bootcamp online interactive.

What else can I do?
How am I going to know what i am good at ? Front end or back end?

Hi @erdldncr!

Well that is 240 hours.

A lot of your time is spent on tutorials.

I would suggest you move away from heavy tutorial use and start building more projects.

You will learn alot more building your own projects than doing guided tutorials.

10 Likes

Thank you very much. any suggestions any platform to see projects?

FCC has five projects at the end of each section.

You could start there.

1 Like

I agree with above, your going over a lot of tutorials and guides rather than digging into what you should be learning. You mention practice, but usually its the “putting it all together” part that is the most difficult, and that usually isn’t covered if your watching a tutorial on X. As if you are a full stack dev, X needs Y, and Z.

Build a project that goes over what you were going over in your courses/tutorials.

You do it enough where its less about knowing how to do stuff and more what you feel comfortable with. Ability comes with experience, and experience comes with time. If you just don’t like what your doing, then never mind if your good at it or not. Find what you like to do.

3 Likes

Thank you so very much

I think the best way to learn how to program is not to see tutorials after tutorials.
You’ll be much better just doing your projects with way less tutorials. I learned the whole HTML, CSS and JS with only FreeCodeCamp, although I had an advantage with JS as it’s not my first coding language; but CSS and HTML were fully learned with FCC.

By doing projects you improve the most critical part of programming: how to put things together. Yes it’s easy to know array.forEach loops through an array, but what will you need, in which order, to do ____. That’s the core of programming, and you only get that by practicing, practicing, practicing.

Think of it like maths or physics, you can know the formulas, but if you don’t know how to use them, in which order to use, when to use them, you can’t do anything. How do you learn all that? Practice

I remember my first HTML and CSS website, it was awful. One tip I have for you, have a design made. Don’t need to make it yourself, just copy another website with CSS and HTML. I remember I copied steelseries’ website when I was learning, and I learned so much there. It will be tricky at first, but it will get better.

While learning JS, I remember I watched FlorinPop, he made a video of 10 projects in 10 hours, and it was great. It’s small projects that will teach you the fundamentals of JS. How to use APIs, how to clone/add nodes, etc. I didn’t follow him making it, I took the idea and if I was stuck I just watched his video a bit to see how he did it.

So, I honestly think you should focus less on tutorials, revisions, etc. I think you should just learn the fundamentals, and get your hands dirty. You will not learn with just tutorials, because when the time comes where you need to actually put the functions together, you’ll be stuck and won’t know what to do. Those 8 hours shouldn’t be spent solely following youtube tutorials, or any tutorials for that matter. You watch those “follow along” tutorials but you don’t understand a thing. So, less tutorials, more practice. Maybe instead of 8 hours on tutorials and bootcamps and etc, have 4 hours a day. 1 of tutorials and 3 of actual coding yourself. About the revisions, I don’t think those are really needed. Reminding yourself “ok this is how you use forEach” will not do anything, really. You will remember how to do forEach when you use it coding, and if anything just googling “JS forEach” will give you the answer. So, less tutorials, more coding.

About Front-end vs backend, well, it really depends what you like to do. Each one has it’s thing. I prefer backend, but frontend is fun sometimes. But it’s really up to each person.

6 Likes

i haven’t readen as much as this friend in a month but more in long term. but i am also stucked and don’t know what to do. i fill like i keep forgeting things and i need to master tutorial to start project. am i wrong? and also is the fcc courses enough for learning tutorial or i need to read other sources such as books>

yes, everyone forget things. If a programmer forget how to do a thing they need, they will google it or look at the documentation for that language/library/framework, not took again a tutorial about the language

at the end you would end memorizing the stuff you use the most, and even that should be refreshed on documentation once in a while

2 Likes

I learned all 3 languages (HTML, CSS and JS) with FCC, so I’d safely say it’s enough.
You will forget how to do things at first, before I remembered how to do most JS functions it took sometime. But by practicing you get used to it.

It’s like using formulas in physics or maths, at first you need to constantly look it up to write the formula. But by practicing you memorize the formula without even wanting and focusing on memorizing it.

2 Likes

thanks man that was helpful

thanks. but how to start projects when I don’t know what to do? is freeze when i see those stuff and get mad.

Yes, that’s the hard part. The hard part is how to start.

Well if you really cannot start, I recommend you watching a very simple follow along tutorial on YouTube. But don’t watch the full tutorial, just watch when you get stuck. You will take sometime to be able to do it all by yourself, but having something to lookup to when you’re stuck helps a lot.

2 Likes

have you tried with the freeCodeCamp projects? you start with a blank page, but you have indications on what you need to do

2 Likes

no but I’ll do that thanks

I’m with a few of the others, that I would just stick to freeCodeCamp methodically, and focus on really figuring out the projects with limited help if possible. That is, unless you can find a better program that works for you and emphasizes projects. You will learn the most when you are putting things together and racking your brain to find solutions.

2 Likes