How to filter an array with another array

I have done a bit of research on this topic, but I am still confused about the best way to filter an array with another array. There are two scenarios I would like to understand better. (1) The second array remains intact after filtering the first array.

For example:
Input:
array1 = [a, b, c, d, e]
array2 = [b, d, f]

Output:
array1 = [a, c, e]
array2 = [b, d, f]

(2) The second array loses the elements that it used to filter the first array.

For example:
Input:
array1 = [a, b, c, d, e]
array2 = [b, d, f]

Output:
array1 = [a, c, e]
array2 = [f]

Thank you for the help.

I dont want to give you a full solution but for #2 part one you can do something like this

function blah(){
  return array1.filter((char) => {
    return array2.indexOf(char) === -1;
  });
});

Array.indexOf() will return the index of the item in the array if it is present. If it is not it will return -1.

Also make sure you understand what filter is doing… Array.filter() returns a new array containing all the items that evaluate to β€œtrue” based on some criteria (ie whatever your callback function specifies). So in my example the code β€œsays” Filter array1 down to only contain the values that are not in array2 etc.

1 Like

In the second solution you gave for example two, does false trigger filter to remove 'b' and 'd' from array2?

Let me make sure I understand the code (approximately). I have yet to acquire the proper lingo for discussing it.

var array1 = ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e'];
var array2 = ['b', 'd', 'f'];

array2 = array2.filter(function(item) {
  return !array1.includes(item) ? true : array1.splice(array1.indexOf(item),1) && false;
});

console.log(array1); // [ 'a', 'c', 'e' ]
console.log(array2); // [ 'f' ]

is given the following conditions:

1. If the item in array2 is not already in array1, the function should return β€˜true’ and array2 is left unmodified.
  2. If the item in array2 is already in array1, the function should return β€˜false’ and the index of the item in array1 should be located and the item removed.

In this case, two of the items in array2 (β€˜b’ and β€˜d’) are already in array1, so for them β€˜false’ is returned and the accompanying action is carried out (β€˜b’ and β€˜d’ are spliced out of array1). Item β€˜f’ is not already in array1, so β€˜true’ is returned and no action is carried out.

I am playing around with the function to understand how ternary operators work. Can you correct me where I am wrong?

Example 1:

return !array1.includes(item) ? true : false;
});

console.log(array1); // [ 'a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e' ]
console.log(array2); // [ 'f' ]

Conditions:

1. If array1 does not include an item from array2, the function returns true, and a new array containing the item is created. This new array is assigned to array2. In the example above, when we call array2, we now get [ 'f' ] and not ['b', 'd', 'f'].
  2. If array1 already includes an item from array2, the function returns false. In this case, there is no accompanying action to be carried out.

Example 2:

return array1.includes(item) ? true : false;
});

console.log(array1); // [ 'a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e' ]
console.log(array2); // [ 'b', 'd' ]

Conditions:

1. If array1 includes an item from array2, the function returns true, and a new array containing the item is created. This new array is assigned to array2. In the example above, when we call array2, we now get [ 'b', 'd' ] instead of ['b', 'd', 'f'].
  2. If array1 does not include an item from array2, the function returns false. In this example, no accompanying action is carried out. Aha!

I just read your last message. Let me modify the last examples I gave.

Okay.

if (!array1.includes(item)) {
    return true; // this part is creating ['f'] which will be re-assigned to array2 when finished
  }

Got it.

else {
    array1.splice(array1.indexOf(item),1); // this part is modifying array1 to be ['a','c','e']
    return false;

Got it.
It makes more sense now.

Would you mind marking this thread Solved?