How to hand off website to client?

Hello everybody,

i’m reading about freelancing from 2 books I bought on amazon, and I have a question that the two books dont seem to cover.

But once a website is made for a client, how do you go about and hand over the website?
I understand there is more than one way to do this but I’m not sure how I would go about it in my case.

I currently have an a2hosting account and a wordpress account that I got with some money I saved up on the side. I use both accounts mainly to play around and upload webpages as im still learning the cpanel and other “stuff” on a2hosting dashboard.

But back to the question,
say I find a client and I build there website. How would I put the website online and “hand-over” the website?
Do I even put it online? or just straight up give them .html, .css, js files all bundled in a folder.

Do I even “hand-over” the website? Or since it’s my a2hosting account, do I simply put it there and charge them and call it a day?

If a client wanted to change text or change photos to the site, is there a way on a2hosting to give them partial access ?

Do I tell them that they need there own hosting service?

Sorry If i’m asking alot, feel free to focus only one the first question if you dont want to reply alot. Thank you for reading this post

P.S: any good books for freelancing with web dev or freelancing with wordpress?

disclaimer I don’t freelance, but I have looked into it a little.

There are usually generally 2 ways to go about handing off something you built.

1. setup a plan before on how to hand off your work
  2. don’t hand it anything, and charge them monthly to manage it yourself for them

The first one usually is the most common with clients that know roughly how to manage what you built for them. If they are non-technical and “just want a website”, then you might have to hold their hand for them a lot more. Regardless of what your doing, there should be a plan in place for what will happen when you are out of the picture setup before the end of the project. Don’t spend a bunch of your time, get partially paid (or not paid at all) and realize you don’t know how to hand off the project to the client, and possibly get stuck.

Or the second one is where your always in the picture, and can get some sustainable income by yourself. However this obviously is a commitment over time, as you need to sustain your support for each client, but you get to also get some income over time as you are managing the “infrastructure”. I’d only consider this the secondary option, as you should be charging more than whatever hosting is available, but you also commit time to handling issues down the line for the client.

Overall however, how you manage the “end of a project” is a business side discussion with you and the client, rather than a technical one. Its also a discussion you want to handle upfront before you start any of the technical work.

Wow, thanks for clarifying that. @bradtaniguchi It sounds so simple when you put it that way.