How to progress with Java Script?

Glad to see others have found it useful.

I do have Jon Duckett’s JS book but I believe it’s from 2014, I love the way he lays out the CSS/HTML but is it too irrelevant now?

I figured I probably just need to keep adding 1x extra on every loop but I wasn’t sure how to do it, and looking at some of the answers online, I’d never have been able to figure it out.

in the book it gives a hint to use .length.

This is why I need to go back ove the basics, I got the jist of how adding ++ to a varible after each loop and stopping when it reaches ‘false’ < 5. I created a basic 1,2,3,4 (yay) But I need more reading.

I think the book defined it as a triangle, I don’t know why I said pyramid!

I think Jon’s book is great at explaining the basics of javascript.
But you are not going to learn anything about es6 because the book came out before es6.

1 Like

Thank you.

So would you say it’d align nicely with FCC? I see FCC has the ES6 after the basics and maybe by then advancing to something else?

His CSS/HTML doesn’t have Flexbox or Grid either! :smiley:

At this point in time, ES6 is the basics. If the book is old enough that it isn’t using the updated syntax offered by ES6 then you should probably get a newer book.

1 Like

You’re correct, just had my first look at ES6, I assumed it was the next advacement after basics but see it looks like a recap of sorts of the new updates.

If FCC had just been created today then there would probably be no distinction between “basic” and “ES6”. I know they are working on updating the material but it just takes time.

2 Likes

I think the book is good for like what an object is and what an array is, etc. But @bbsmooth is right.

If you are struggling with stuff like that then you can use Jon’s book, but beyond that you will have to use a newer source.

Well it came out in 2015 so I don’t think we can consider new anymore.

The new FCC curriculum introduces es6 a lot sooner. I looked at some of their projects and it introduces these concepts a lot sooner.

I would consult with css tricks for these topics.

I would suggest finishing up basic javascript and then continuing on with the rest of the javascript sections.

Then after you complete the javascript certificate then you can look into eloquent javascript.

1 Like

You guys are super insightful, thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.