Java scripts tutorials do not make sense

These tutorials do not do a very good job of explaining how to solve the the challenge nor are the instructions very good, I have to watch a separate video explaing the instructions to me on 80% of the tutorials.

2 Likes

I just completed the Basic JavaScript module. Most, if not all, of the challenges are oriented towards problem solving and thus building muscle memory. I usually augment my knowledge of the terms introduced by reading up on W3schools.com or Mozilla Documentation.

4 Likes

the first batch of java script tutorials theres about 100 or so, the first 20 i can understand after that im lost. the code examples they give for the lesson are way too different from the problem you have to solve. so i get completely lost, for example, USEiING OBJECTS FOR LOOKUPS

1 Like

hey sumax i appreciate your response and i will take that into consideration.

If you have a question about a specific challenge as it relates to your written code for that challenge, just click the Ask for Help button located on the challenge. It will create a new topic with all code you have written and include a link to the challenge also. You will still be able to ask any questions in the post before submitting it to the forum.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Bear in mind that most of these challenges are intended to help you grasp atomic concepts and build muscle memory. The project are where you will get to apply all of them to actually build something.

3 Likes

ok but the thing is i need help will almost all the turorials in java script, is that normal?

once you start seeking out solutions it becomes much more normal. Try to go back to the beginning, try to solve things on your own, so you will know what you hav eactually learned. when you are stuck, use the ask for help button, don’t seek out solutions

JavaScript is a programming language. If it’s the first programming language you’ve ever leaned it will be very hard. (css and html are markup languages, not programing languages.)

Some people in the thread have rightly advised looking up existing documentation and I would too. However, I also advise going back over previous lessons and not looking at the solutions via videos or the hint page.

From experience, solutions reduce your ability to construct your own JavaScript problem solving skills and to put together the concepts each lesson teaches. This will make the course harder to complete long term.

Now, struggling with each lesson isn’t fun. It will make you feel frustrated and it may even take days to solve some lessons even with asking for help. But you’ll come out the other side with a solid foundation of JavaScript problem solving skills and a much stronger understanding of JavaScript. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I suggest not relying purely on FCC as your learning resource. It’s normal that you’re looking up for every lesson yes, you are not alone :slight_smile:
Look for supplementary resources to help explain concepts more easily. Find your mode of learning that resonates with you.
I find https://javascript.info a fantastic resource and Steve Griffith on YouTube is a brilliant instructor. These might not resonate with you, keep searching it’s a long road. Peace be the journey :sled:

1 Like

I would argue that that’s a good thing. In your professional life, you don’t get the information you need all wrapped up in a bow. I spent two hours yesterday digging through documentation and Stack Overflow posts trying to figure out how to make something work.

Use FCC as a framing device for your learning, a path. But do a lot of research. MDN is the definitive online source for info about JS. Any time you encounter a new keyword or prototype method, look it up. If something confuses you, google it, look for a youtube videos.

FCC covers too many topics over such a broad range that it is impossible for it to be comprehensive - it would take years to get through. But as it is, it is a good path for getting the basics of a MERN stack. That is an excellent start.

3 Likes

I have yet to begin my freeCodeCamp Javascript learning journey. I find the w3schools (50 hour)javascript tutorial is pretty dense for a first timer like me.
Some of the array and number methods and suchlike around the halfway mark in the w3 javascript tutorial are beyond my current ability to absorb and grasp. I’m finding it necessary to use other resources and switch back and forth in order to achieve any progress on some of the more dense and/or nonsensical w3 javascript chapters. I would be very pleased if they upgraded their platform and curriculum so I could use just the one spot to study javascript from start to finish without skipping past material.

All that said, I am very thankful to FreeCodeCamp (and W3!)for the (free!!)services they provide, and I fully intend to complete as much as I can here(and there).

That is normal, don’t get down on youself. Some things take a couple of passes before they fully gel. Looking at other sources is good, but I also think it’s good to finish a path - even if you take some quick little side trips. Then you can also come back andtry the other path. This is hard stuff, that’s why it pays well.

Reading your last comment, I think you ought to “go slow to go fast”.
If you can progress just one challenge at a time, master it before moving on. Play with the code, console.log() the variables, keep tinkering. Take notes if that helps. Over time things get more intuitive :bulb: and your learning style may also naturally evolve.

I use W3schools.com as only a reference for the new terms I come across on FCC, can’t comment on their learning path :slightly_smiling_face:

personally I got stuck with 21 lessons out the total of 113 of the basic JavaScript. Not bad

To make sure I fully undertstand all the things learned through this JavaScript Certification, I decided that I will read the book series “You don’t know JS” new editions.
I heard very good reviews about them and they are written for JavaScript beginners so it is what I need

I saw the books published by O’Reilly mentioned in a stackoverflow survey as a source of learning and since then I looked them up and I have been thinking to buy a couple of them for some time

Consider that freeCodeCamp is free and is self-teaching. It is great. Up to a month ago I thought Java and JavaScript were the same thing

If I need further explanation on some lessons and the freeCodeCamp forum is not enough, I use some extra resources like W3Schools, Youtube videos by other web devs, freeCodeCamp on youtube or articles on their website, stackoverflow and googling

I am going to do coding challenges, quizzes and games too on w3schools and on other websites to keep practicing HTML, CSS, JavaScript and soon React

As do I, and I like that MDN is written in a way that sounds like someone is talking to you about coding. Having said that, I don’t like not having a mentor and going it alone. Which, mind you, I’ve been doing since last summer. I’m learning, who wouldn’t after a year of self coding. But, enough lol.

So my next step is either going back into my modules and/or (mostly and lets be honest lol) Udemy sections to study the basics or getting someone pro to test me more week to week.

1 Like

As learners of Web development or even as junior developers we are intrinsically handicapped by the learners mindset which is geared towards picking up new terms, code etc. This can get in the way of big picture thinking, which should be about problem solving and discovering innovative solutions.
Therefore, it is imperative that we step-away from the “small stuff” from time-to-time and attempt to discover the WHY behind what we’re learning which could then naturally allow us to figure out the HOW and WHAT.

1 Like

I agree w/ almost everything you’re saying, but at some point, if you only pick up and learn some of the syntax, then you need a class, or teacher mentor format. I see no shame in admitting that because I’ve hit a wall. Or at least a “weigh station” where I need a pros help to get me out.

This is especially true if things are are taking too long and a good sign of that is if someone learning to code started after you and has a job before you. That’s not a good sign.

I know i have mentioned this before but im going to expand, maybe the creators of free code camp will make some changes.

the instructions for a lot of the java script tutorials are vague and inaccurate and doing research online does not help unless you go straight to the solution.