How to use Promises or Async / Await with this example

Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to get to grips with the syntax for ES6 promises and Async / Await.

I have some code like so:

HTML

<button class="selector">CLICK ME</button>

JS

var selector = document.querySelector('.selector');

function f1() {
    selector.addEventListener('click', () => {
      f2();
    });
  }

function f2() {
    setTimeout(() => {
      console.log('initial click')
    }, 3000);
    f3();
  }

function f3() {
    alert('clicked');
  }

f1();

How do I set this up using promises or async await so that f3() does not start until f2() is finished?

async / await is just syntactic sugar that is built on top promises to make asynchronous responses feel more synchronous (but they are still async), so first and foremost Iā€™d learn how to create a function that returns a promise. The basic structure of doing so is

function myPromise(){
  return new Promise(function(resolve,reject){
      // if the async action goes well wrap your data in the resolve argument of the callback
      resolve(data)
     // if the async action does not go well wrap your data in the reject argument of the callback
      reject(error)
  })
}

then, to unravel your promise you have 2 ways (and this is where async/await can be used)

1. the regular .then() way, (if you have a bunch of promises then you could use Promise.all)
myPromise()
.then(data => console.log(data)) // if the  async action is successful you will get your data here 
.catch(error => console.log(error))  // if the  async action is unsuccessful you will get your error here 
  1. the async/await way
async function myAsync(){
  try{
      const data = await myPromise();
  // you can chain as many more functions that return promises here
  // and they will be executed sequentially
    console.log(data)
  }catch{
    console.log(e)
  }
}

myAsync()

So, try wrapping your functions using the structure above and post them here if you come across any issues.

2 Likes

Try this:

const t = ms => new Promise((res) => setTimeout(res, ms));
async function f2() {
  await t(3000);
  console.log('initial click')
  f3();
}
1 Like

Thanks so much for the answers above guys. I managed to work out my problem!