Html5 clickable code that generates a video page from specs

I’m wondering if it is possible in html5 to have a clickable link that generates/opens a video page that will open in a new tab rather than have it take up space on the home page because I have several videos to list for the user to select and don’t want them to have to scroll down the page.

TI know that the hyperlink function can open a video page that I’ve created first… but that requires me to upload a separate page for each link.

Because the video(s) to be played from the home page links change on a regular basis… I’m looking to be able to just edit the home page link code with the new video urls and have the video page pop up on demand.

The format for the video page is standard for all my index page links and they will all be like this…
sample
So instead of making a page for each video and creating a hyperlink for each “page” … I want to dynamically generate it from a clickable name/icon that will launch the video.

This is my first post and I apologize if this explanation is not up to standards.

To do what you are trying to do, the common practice is to use HTML + MySQL + PHP. Essentially ou would have one page at domain(dot)com/myVideoPage.php. When you click the link it wil always link to that page, however the information for the specified link will be stored in the db with something along the lines of | linkImage | linkTitle | linkId | linkToVid |. You would then call the db whenever you wanted to to display that link. when you click the image it would then query the page as well as the specified video from the DB. There are other ways you can do it, but this is one of the more common ways that seems to be phasing out as Node gets bigger and bigger.

Thanks for the suggestion and might be leading to a solution. My first goal is to stay with html5 and avoid methods that might be phased out in the future. I’ve been working with a player (JW player) for 10 years and now with the pending Flash phase out I’m stuck with hundreds of .flv videos and code that won’t do me any good when the player is no longer use full. To get to your workaround… I am currently using a mysql with a php program that generates the code for the page and just have to cut and paste it to get what I need to update. The result is that, for each video link, it calls the player and tells it where the video is and where to start playing it from (Which is really what I need) and it does not need to open a new page because the video player frame is on the top of the page and each video call plays there. With the multi device platform I’m thinking that will not work for all browsers (the #t:30:60 code does not work in ie for example but does work with chrome) So I’m searching for code to call up a link that opens a new tab with the video and that code I will put in the php program that will access the database to get the correct video and generate the new page layout. A bit more complicated than I first explained.

Maybe I am missing something. This sounds like what I explained using PHP. You would use the HTML with a static link that leads to a dynamic page essentially. Your href would be something along the lines of href = "newpage/videoId$=1234567" target = "_blank" on the “newpage” page, you would extract the URL from the browser with the queried ID. Then you would call that record with something along the lines of:

SELECT "videoID, videoTitle, videoLink FROM tableName WHERE videoID = urlID"

Then, in your HTML code, you just want to insert the data

<div class ="player">
     <h1> $row["videoName"] </h1> //call the name of the video
     <div class = "video"> $row["videoLink"] </div> //call the link to the video here
</div>

So this calls the video into a single page. If you want to have some fun with it, you can turn the link into a variable and run it through a JavaScript function that just increments it. So every time you click “next” it it looks for the current id + 1. just make sure you add a fail safe that checks the value of how many records are in the table so if you are at the last record it resets instead of loading an error page.

Thanks folks. Did figure out how to use variables. Finally.