I am 34 - Am I too old to even consider a career in WebDev?

Hello! Pretty much the title says it all… I am 34 years old and I have been messing with some HTML/CSS/JS coding for a few years, but I never seem to be able to stick to it. Every time I give up, the main factor is that I feel too old to start a career in such a demanding field. Also, I live in a fairly small town in Greece with a non existent tech market, so my main option will be to look for remote positions and/or freelancing. Is this doable? If yes, would freeCodeCamp be the right way to do it? I decided to post in this community because I’d love some feedback on that - either to gain some well-founded motivation or to stop thinking about this career change. Thanks!

1 Like

Search for posts “50 year old”, there are loads of inspiring stories who have joined IT in later phase of their lives

you should join local bootcamp and later move to Western Europe where you will find loads of development jobs

3 Likes

Hi there, young man,

not software development, but still IT: Operations/sysadmin/networks and I changed into this career in my 50s. If I can do it, you can as well.

4 Likes

I’m not giving up hope and i will be 50 next month. I have endured some medical set backs and programming and web development would be amazing as a career change. I can’t wait until I can put what I learn here to use and be a part of something big in a vast and ever changing world.

1 Like

You are never too old to begin a career in tech. Especially at your age. There are people in here in their forties and fifties that are learning to code. They all can succeed and so can you.

It won’t be easy but if you focus on your studies; I know you can do it.

As an aside; freelancing is not for everyone. It is fast and demanding and generally not as worth it as you might not think.

1 Like

I’m 31 years old and I been looking for work for about 5 years. I’m still applying but the competition is rough. I’m also from the States, good luck.

2 Likes

Well, I’m pass by name. Did computer studies at high school, i.e talking about computer studies both in theory and in the practical aspects.

As a young computer professional, i work as desktop publisher at various cyber cafe/business centrw. And as such, i develop strong passion for Software development after having research software deverloper job prospects, salary type and career opportunities(not bad).

Meanwhile, my high school teacher was home based in the United States for over 30 years. Back then in my secondary school dsys, he made me to develop strong motivation for Coding. Back then, i did flowcharting, Logic gate, data processing and Coding with BASIC (A High Level Programming Language) and a little understanding of Microsft Office Packages.

Here, my mentor, a technocrat another bootcamper was 35 years old when he did video game developments at college many years back. And yet he is doing fine careerwise.

To me, age is not a barrier to career switch as a web dev.

I think you should consider demographics based on prospecting. Many years back, experts in the developer conference had foretold that many startups will fail, and yes such forecast pass validity test. So, i strongly advice that one should think twice while making career switch. Although, multiple stream of income is not always a bad idea.

Thanks.

Age isn’t a barrier when it comes to web development. Having a bit more life experience can be a big advantage.

3 Likes

Age is not a problem as long as the zeal and driving force is there, there are stories of people who enter the field in advanced age and made a livelihood out of it

2 Likes

Im 41 and in a similar boat. My mindset has been “make up for lost time”. Whatever motivates you to build things, go get it.

I choose to believe that recruiters value maturity, stability, soft skills. That is (one of) your edges, play it up when networking and applying. Stay humble though. They need to know you are teachable.

50’s and went on to have successful careers in the tech field. In fact, the average age of most web developers is 35.

1 Like

Hi there. I am a new learner in this industry. May I ask which one is easier to get a job? (Or in another way which one provide more job opportunities). And from a outsider’s view, is it more difficult to learn operations than frontend or whatever. Hope for replying, thanks.

Did you already get a job? Or just started to learn now? I have learned programming for two weeks, hope for communication.

Terrifying. 5 years? May I ask which area of technology are you focused on? Is is really that hard to get a job?

Hi there, have you already got a job now? If yes, may I ask how you get it?

Hello,

I don’t know if it is easier to get into operations, but there are lots of opportunities. Branches like network engineering are in need of new blood since the old guard has started retiring.

If ops are more difficult depends on the individual, just prepare that you need to know A LOT. Sysadmins have about 10 core fields they have to be fit in, (virtual) server management, network security, user account management (a complex beast), automation scripting etc.

I recommend operations if you love (virtual) server and network technology, and if you prefer to operate software and help others solve daily technical issues over creating software.

Hello yvo, I am a current student here at Free Code Camp. I am 74, and this is my fourth (4th) career. I see remote offers that I qualify for on LinkedIn based on my training here. Keep crawling forward, and never give up!

1 Like

Thank you for your replying. That helps me a lot, maybe operation is not suitable for me base on what you said.

Oh! Seriously 74? It’s amazing. Did you get your job on LinkedIn?

Happy to help,

if you still want to dabble in ops later, there’s a hybrid with DevOps positions, where you need to know both development and operations. There are different branches like DevOps, DevSecOps and NetDevOps to choose from.

You need some experience for those, not really a junior position, but maybe a future direction.