I can't find a job it's been over 18 Months

I am a .NET Developer with Bachelor’s and masters in computer science. I am the top of my class in my masters. I have been looking for a job over 18 month now. I feel so down no one wants to give me a chance to be employed and do what i like to do. my whole life is on pause because of my situation and i am thinking about quitting the developing career and find something else. I need help or guidance i am exhaust and can’t think of other solutions anymore

If you would like to share your CV, your portfolio, or anything else you are using as a way to present yourself, you can share them here

1 Like

Hey @OElhenawy !

Welcome to the forum!

As mentioned earlier, feel free to share your resume with us.

But also, know that this market has been really tough for lots of people.
So you are not a lone in this.

I had a friend who struggled for months trying to get another job and was at their breaking point and thought about leaving the industry.

But earlier this year, he was able to land a great job.

So I know it is really tough right now but a job will pop up soon.

If you wanted to share any other items with the forum like your linkedin, etc, then feel free to share those too for feedback.

Hope that helps

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

I am a little confused here.

Because your resume says you have been working this whole time.
So you are currently employed and you want a better job?
Is that the situation?

If that is the case, then what is missing from your resume are some metrics on the impact you made at your company.
Talk with your manager, and get some numbers from them about how your work so far and positively impacted the organization and how it has helped them increase revenue.

That is huge advantage you will have over those without any work experience.

2 Likes

You have a lot of personal identifying information on there. For your safety, I would redact things like your last name, phone number, and email address

It seems like you are already questioning the ethics of such an approach to getting a job, if you are asking us if this is “right or wrong”. You know the answer.

If your asking us to approve of your fake resume, I’d ask you why? What sort of benefits would we get out of reviewing a resume filled with inaccurate information?

At best we’d be giving you advise based on a false premise, that may make you feel a little better at using a facade resume, but this doesn’t solve anything, hell it makes it worse.

This is where I’d start and focus on. If your resume isn’t strong, focus on it. If you can’t make it strong without faking, then work on your skills. If you’ve been out of a job for 18 months (if that is the truth and not a fabrication) then you could/should be spending those 18 months working on your weaknesses.

Fabricating huge swaths of your resume will never work because no company will hire you based off just your resume. You might get an interview based on a fabricated email, but any job interview worth their salt will sniff you out very quickly and just end up wasting every-ones time.

If you have college work for your masters fill your resume with that. You didn’t go to school for years to fill your resume with false information.

1 Like

Typically internships, will be more available for college students and recent grads.

Your resume says you have both a bachelors and masters in computer science.

How involved have you been with their career services?
Were there internships available during college?
Are there additional opportunities for alumni?
How involved are you with their alumni services?

The reason why I ask all of these questions is because one huge advantage of going to college over self taught and bootcamps is the access to internships and networking with other students and alumni for job opportunities.

Even though you have been out of school for a year or so, you should still look into what opportunities are available for alumni and connect with your network to see what opportunities are available.

When talking about your freelance experience, you will need to reframe it to talk about what you accomplished for them to help them make more money.

Remember this is a business at the end of the day.
Businesses only care about two things

1. How to make more money
  2. How to save them money

What did you do in those three months where the final result made the client more money and helped their business?
Reframing it that way will gain more attention, then just saying you did some stuff with API’s.

Also reach out to that client to get them to provide a review of your services.
Then you can add that to your LinkedIn profile.

Whatever resume you put out there should be as accurate as possible.

Any inaccuracies in your resume will come to light in the interview.

In the interview, if the developer is asking questions based on prior experience that you don’t have, then they will know immediately you aren’t who you say you are and you will have lost out on the job anyway.

There is zero benefit to having an inaccurate resume because any good company will be able to spot it during the interview anyway.

Always lead with the truth and things will work out much better for you :+1:

You will need to create a resume, that highlights more of your personal projects then work experience.

Display 1-2 strong projects that you have done lately and talk about those projects.

If you have been involved with significant open source contributions, talk about that too.

I suggest you read through these resume articles to help you revision your resume so it is stronger to stand out

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Try to attend meetups and contribute to open source projects. The market is saturated with experienced developers due to the massive layoffs…

Btw I got hired as a front end without experience because of my portfolio… 2017
Good times. Here’s my portfolio: www.errec.surge.sh

2 Likes

I love your portfolio what type of web application framework did you use for it?

I am not trying to fabricate anything i have direct knowledge and worked with all of the things on my resume i like cooperate experience and the market is brutal. but i will never give up and i will keep working on enhancing my skills. I love what i do and i will work as a developer soon. thank you so much for your advice i appreciate it. I will work more on my skills for sure even when i get a job

Hi Jessica,
You are great. Thank you so much for talking the time and give me some great tips. I have worked on my resume. I have added what i have done on the past two years with my freelance. and here is the result. Please let me know if there is anymore tips.
Thank you

Id check your grammar in those bullets. You should use complete sentences. Id also try to avoid covering more than 2 lines for a bullet and try not to have a line with just a couple of words.

Your top block makes it seem like you’re employed when you said above you weren’t. Id make sure your resume isn’t misleading, as that will make companies less likely to hire you when they catch on.

1 Like

Which country do you belong ?

From my experience of jobs market in India, EU & US; there are tons of jobs for web and mobile development but there are not enough engineers to execute the job.

I suggest you either pick up Web or Mobile development based on ( React, React Native framework )

Also check Tesla AI jobs, AI is new gold mine and there will be loads of new jobs.

Do NOT worry about your current situation, most of us were there.

Do NOT give up on your development dream as well.

I strongly recommend you to read the book “How to stop worrying & start living

1 Like

I agree with this.

When I read .NET developer from October 2022 till now, that makes it seem like you have been working full time that whole duration.

If you freelanced for 3 months then I would explicitly say that on your resume with dates.
Then you can have a couple of bullet points talking about what you did.

Since you don’t have a lot of experience, I would suggest adding some projects you have built on your resume.

Yes, the market is tough right now but it is still possible to get work.

I would suggest joining Danny Thompson’s discord community because I think you will learn a lot about how to better structure your resume approach this job search to see more results.

I am seeing many CVs currently and yours is a typical one and we would not invite you, because you are wearing a huge developer hat without thinking about the business.

Why:

• the CV is full of tech, but I don’t care about tech, but who you are, what you do and did and how you can help the business
  • huge amout of redundant information without additional benefits: you do web development, so no need to add html and css as programming languages
  • same goes for sections framework, database, tools & testing: remove the useless information: I do not care which dialect of SQL you know, the IDE you use or what API tools you use; if you do not know our current tools, then I expect you to learn it in some days at the job
  • overall I have the idea that you don’t know much about your skills, strengths and weaknesses, that’s why you filled the CV with a lot of useless information; that’s probably also how you talk to team members, customers etc. and that’s not what I need
  • and let’s be honest: I’m a developer, so I know the terms you use; but it’s mostly HR that sees your CV first and they don’t know these terms, so your CV is a big pill of ??? for them => wear the HR hat

Some ideas:

• section “professional experience”:
    • remove all the fillers, e.g. “enhanced website”: I hope that you enhanced the website and did not make it worse
    • remove tech speak, e.g. “designed abstract classes, interfaces, …”: no one cares how you implemented the changes
  • section “skills”:
    • put skills to the top and talk high-level: you develop software applications, mostly in dotnet
    • remove all the redundant information:
      • what is the difference between “web development”, “software development” and “application development”
      • if you do dotnet, then it’s clear that you know sql, visual studio etc.; and if you don’t, then you should be able to learn it
  • in general, ask yourself, if this information adds to the answer for “Can this person be a great contributor to my business and to its existing contributors?”