I lost all my progress

today i login with my fcc account and shocked to see that all my progress and points that i had earned is erased.even i saw many others campers facing this issue but there is no support from any members of fcc here.what to do now ??? its very frustating and irritating .very poor support from fcc members.so sad

There are two different types of saved progress for Free Code Camp: your profile and your browser cache.

Your completed challenges are all saved to your account in the FCC database. You can see the list of completed challenges and also the last submitted solutions by looking at your profile page.

If your profile does not include your completed challenges, here is my troubleshooting advice:

1. Double check that you used the same method to sign in. Try logging out and back in again with the original method. Attempting to sign in with a different method will sometimes create a duplicate account. (FCC is taking steps to prevent this from happening in the future.)
  2. Double check that you aren’t on the beta site now and that you didn’t create your original account on the beta site by accident. (Yes, this does happen.)

Your progress tracking (map) is saved in your browser’s local storage. In-progress code is also saved in your local browser cache. If you are changing browsers or clearing your cache regularly you’ll have to use freecodecamp.com/map to navigate to your next challenge. Especially as you get to more complicated challenges that may take multiple sessions, I strongly recommend saving your in-progress work outside of the browser cache. This is a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of your GitHub account, but you can also just save locally or use a service like repl.it which allows for versioning.

Could you provide a detailed description of how you initially signed up, how many challenges you completed, whether you used more than one computer, and whether anything was different about the time you logged in when you found your progress was erased.

We have never been able to replicate a bug that wipes all account progress, so the more detail you can give us, the better.

i completed html5 and css ,bootsrap challenges.and now just going to start with jquery challenges but all my old progress is erased .even in map i can’t find solutions of all my challenges that i had completed before as it automatically resets to 0.i try sign out and then sign in again but it took me back to 1 challenge .m afraid now that again if it happen ?

:point_up: what about these details?

Also, some follow up details:

At what point in the process did you create your account? Straight away, or after completing some challenges?

What browser do you use?

When you visit a challenge you think you’ve already completed, and click ‘run tests’ without altering the code, what happens? Does the challenge automatically pass or do they fail?

no i didn’t used any other computer to login to my acccount. and yes eveything is different when i logged in again as it took me to the very first challenge like i created new account.

i created account first then started completing challenges.i use chrome .no the challenge does not automatically pass without altering the code.
all i want to know is will i get my progress back or have to start from beginning again?what if happens again in future?

I am currently trying to replicate your issue with a new account. I’m using your set up exactly. If I hit the same problem as you then that means there is a bug in the site and it’s possible you could lose the progress again - but I can’t be sure unless I see it happen.

In the meantime I would suggest the following:

If you are interested in learning to code, continue working through the curriculum as you were. Just start where you left off and don’t bother completing the older challenges again.

Your score on the site will be lower, but it doesn’t affect your ability to earn the certificates. Only the challenges that have an asterisk next to them are mandatory to earn the certificates. That includes the basic and intermediate algorithms, and all the projects.

You’ll do your projects on Codepen, so you won’t lose them even if your progress resets.

When you get to the algorithms, save each passing algorithm on your computer so you have a back up if they get lost.

This isn’t ideal, and I know it’s disappointing to lose the points you earned so far, but this is the best compromise we have until we can identify the problem and fix it.

:expressionless::face_with_raised_eyebrow: ok thanks.

One last thing, could you open up Chrome developer tools (ctrl + shift + I) on the freecodecamp site (not here on the forum), and navigate to the Application tab, click Local storage and then click the entry for freecodecamp.org - then copy and paste all of the key - value table into a reply here:

Did you clear your browser history at any point prior to losing all your progress?

I think I have been able to replicate the first bug, thanks to some of the details you provided.

I’ll need others on the team to confirm it, and then we’ll have to fix the bug, but we are closer to fixing this.

Did you manually log out, or did clearing your browser log you out?

Also, did you verify your email address before you completed the first set of challenges and logged out?

yes i log out manually also i verified my email address.

Ok, that might help us pin it down a bit further.

Thanks for your input.

Thanks to the work of @BerkeleyTrue, @raisedadead and @QuincyLarson this bug should now be fixed!

Your help in particular, @kunal was crucial in helping us track down the bug - so thanks for answering all my questions in this thread!

If you encounter this issue again, please post in the support category.

Happy coding!

1 Like