I need a job 😢 in a closer future

Hello everyone,

I need your help guys!!! I need to find a job as an intern or junior front-end developer as soon as possible. Because It’s important for saving my marriage :cry: … Money is not the first question.

I do know that I am not perfect. I had searched for a programming job many months, while worked on other types of job… Please, help me.

I finished FreeCodeCamp First Certificate long time ago
Worked on the Second and Third Certificates
Finished BYUI Front-End Certificate this summer:

Worked on my own Pet Project on React.js
Worked as email-designer in 2019: weekly and individual newsletters

I don’t have months anymore, and I can’t do this alone.

3 Likes

Well, I don’t know how we can help with your marriage - that is a big responsibility - that is not a problem I want to take on. I can’t address that. (I would suggest handling that as a separate issue, with your partner.) I can only talk about getting a job.

“How to get a job” is not an easy topic as there are many variables, some of which we can’t see. I will say that getting a first job is very difficult. This is a hard field to break into. It always takes longer than you think.

I would say that getting more certifications under your belt would help. I mean, the certifications really matter, but the knowledge that you learn is what matters. Getting some backend experience and more knowledge about some of those other libraries are a big help. But (at least in my experience) it took me almost a year more (after getting the first 6 certs) or learning, building things, more learning, more building things, polishing my resume, applying for and getting reject for jobs, polishing my portfolio, more rejections, getting better at interviewing, before I finally found “the rhythm” and was in the final rounds of interviewing with 3 companies when I got an offer. #ymmv Two years later I wanted to get a new job and it was soooooo much easier. The first job is the hardest.

At the risk of some more shameless self-promotion, I once wrote up a doc with my thoughts on getting that first job.

I’m busy atm, but I’ll make a note to come back and look at your projects to see if I can see anything. Do you have a resume/CV? Do you have a linkedin page? Do you have a professional portfolio?

12 Likes

I know that is not easy to find first job… And I don’t think that I can do it with out three of my own projects, six certificates and so on. But while I am working on some other jobs, I quickly forget what I learned and practiced in coding. I started my way in 2017 and it didn’t work for me well. Maybe if I could start to work as intern it will help me a lot.

Usual I use my CV and write a cover letter.

1 Like

OK, reviewing your CV… And keep in mind that I’m a very picky reviewer and that there is some subjectivity here…

Don’t label yourself as an “Intern Frontend Developer” - just call yourself a “Frontend Developer”.

I would expect some more contact info here. Telephone? Linkedin page? Porfolio page?

The paragraph that follows… This isn’t your profile on matchmaker.com They don’t care what your hobbies are. Keep in mind that you have 5 seconds to convince them to keep reading. Rather than tell them you like swimming and genealogy, tell them what kind of candidate you are, something like:

I am a frontend developer, using primarily React. I am based in [closest major city] but am willing to relocate. I am looking for an internship or entry level position.

Something like that gives them vital information. It lets them know if it is even worth keeping reading.

All in all, your CV is too long, in my opinion. I know that “CV” can mean different things in different cultures, but I’m looking at this from an American perspective. For someone with almost no experience, there is no reason for it to be more than one page. Not only is that more concise, but it forces you to get to the point.

For Courses, shorten this up. Don’t say that you “mastered HTML5”, etc. Trust me, I would bet good money that you are not a “master” or CSS. I knew a guy who specialized in CSS and he didn’t even think of himself as a “master”. Combine the two FCC entries, and just list the certificates that you have completed. You do you really want to tell them that you think that “almost” completing something is “good enough”? Only list things you’ve completed. The exception might be if you are in a degree program. Don’t list projects here - list those in the Projects section. This Courses section (I would prefer “Education”, but OK) should be just two entries of a few lines each. The wrapping on the title lines is odd, with different indents. First of all, you probably remove alumni/student. And you could not include the “certificates” in the title line - those should be listed below. The certificate names are a good opportunity to get some job keywords in there.

The experience section… Especially since it is not dev work, this should be shorter. You don’t need to tell them what an email designer is. Just list it and point out anything that directly relates to web dev work. This section should be only a few lines.

The Projects section … This is one of the most important sections. But I don’t think you should have a paragraph for that project. It should be a title, a brief explanation of what it is, and maybe a list of techs or concepts that you used. I don’t think you need a pic there, but if you could fit it, a smaller pic could be nice, I guess. You should have your 3-5 best projects. You can have a link at the bottom to tell them to checkout other projects on your portfolio site (which you should have).

The Skills section. I think this is one of the most important things on your CV. The personnel person checking out this - that is going to be one of the first things they look for, to check it against the keywords that the engineers gave them. I’d be willing to bet that when you start including other common libraries and such that you’ve used that you could double or triple the size of this. And it should go at the top, right below the paragraph. Again, you want their eyes to lock onto this before your 5 seconds of attention are up.

You mentioned languages above - that is a worthwhile asset in some cases, but it should go at the bottom. Something like “I speak native Russian, intermediate English, and beginner Swedish.” (or whatever)

The layout of the resume, I like for the most part. I think the red lines are much too thick - they seem domineering to me. I don’t understand why some links are orange and some are red. Red is the universal color for a dead link so I’m not sure what you’re trying to communicate.

Your English is good, but you should have a native English speaker look it over.

It was a project on React.js. I worked in a team with a project manager, who set dates for me. I did the front part of this project.

A project on React.js doesn’t sound right. And “front part” of the project doesn’t makes sense, I think you mean, “I did the frontend for this project.”

This project will deliver a web application that allows people to find next information: …

I’m not even sure what “to find next information” means.

I mean, for most of it I get what you are trying to say, but I can tell that it is not a native English speaker. There is nothing wrong with that, but you don’t want to draw attention to it and it slows the flow of reading. It also makes them worry that you don’t pay close attention to details.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

13 Likes

Good day, KevinSmith,

I changed a few things in the CV. Could you look at this one more time?

I will correct my LindekIn, then will add the link in my CV. The same to my old portfolio page at GitHub.

2 Likes

I suggest read and re-read book “How To Stop Worrying and Start Living” by Dale Carnegie ( HOW TO STOP WORRYING AND START LIVING by Dale Carnegie | Core Message - YouTube )

Don’t mix personal and professional things together, as it’ll result in lots of stress and unhappiness, take decision with calm mind.

Hope you’ll find your dream job sooner

1 Like

OK, that looks a lot better, I think. It is much easier to find the information I need.

Some thoughts:

I still find the underlines a little jarring. It wasn’t the color to which I was objection as much as the “heaviness”, mainly the thickiness. It has an almost brutalism effect. I would want to go thinner, maybe 1/3 of the width and/or a softer gray.

I still think you could go with fewer lines on the Experience section, but this is huge improvement.

There should be a blank line before the “I speak…” line.

For the projects, a link to both the code and an active version of the app would be nice.

You link to your portfolio, but I might have the url there - some people still print resumes. And the same for linkedin.

Proof read 7 times and them have someone else do it. For example, there is an extra space before “UTM”.

The skills section still seems light. Have you never used redux? Any i18n? Axios? Sass? Bootstrap? There are probably some other libraries you’ve used. If not, try to find a way to incorporate them into new or existing projects.

Again, you should have a native English speaker go over this. Things like:

Prepared weekly and individual newsletters to

I think you prepare newsletters “for”, not “to”.

Led the project of adding…

I think “of” sounds a little odd here. I would have gone with “for” or just left off the preposition.

The webpage helps people find by last names and areas other researchers.

It makes sense, but the insertion of the prepositional phrase before the direct object sounds clumsy in English. I think"This webpage helps people find other researchers by last name and location." is better

three multi-chooses lists
I assume you were going for “multi-choice”,

I mean, your English is very good and certainly good enough to work as a dev in an English speaking shop, but there are little things like this that flag you as non-native. Again, there is nothing wrong with not being a native English speaker, but we want to put our best foot forward.

But still, that is much better. It is much more focused and to the point.

I’ll try to take a look at the portfolio and linkedin when I get a chance.

Good work.

5 Likes

I did a quick skim of the 2nd CV you posted.

One thing about using links, rather than providing the actual raw URLs is if someone prints the document, they can’t get to any of the links even if they wanted to. Yes the actual URLs take up more space, but they will “work” even if your CV is printed.

I originally planned to looking the portfolio, but it seems like it’s missing from your CV? :thinking: Or maybe I missed it somewhere else in the thread?

Finally, try to find a way to condense your CV into 1 page. Multi-page resume’s are usually frowned upon, and even if you had decades of experience, odds are you can still condense things down into 1 page.

Luckily, as a developer you can show off whatever you want via your portfolio for those curious. So I’d shove in all the details there, but keep things laser focused on your CV.

Good luck :+1:

1 Like

Good day, KevinSmith,

I am appreciate your help. I hope it will help to get job.

I added Portfolio and LinkedIn link to the CV.

I am planning to add more projects a little bit later. Now, I am trying to figure out how to add scss project (css garden) and family-list project (react) to the portfolio repository.

1 Like

I looked at the linkedin. I would want more information there. I would want your FCC training and other schooling and a link to your portfolio. Having your CV downloadable would be nice, too.

Your portfolio…

The look is simple and functional. I just think it could have more information. Google search for other devs’ sites and see what they include. This is a chance to sell yourself and unlike the CV, with some proper organization, you can include more information.

One thing I notice is that the Family List project doesn’t go anywhere when clicked. Also, the “code” links seem disproportionally small.

I looked at you Family list project code. What I saw looks pretty good. But I do have some notes.

Your project should have a .ignore file. In it should be node_modules/ to keep the node_modules from uploading. You should never save those in the git. People will recreate them using the package.json and yarn.lock if they download it. They are just too big to store on github and there is no reason.

You should edit the README.md and have it reflect this project, not the starter project.

The code looks pretty good. I would suggest standardizing some of your formatting. Install something like eslint and/or prettier. It is readable but it looks a little chaotic. Experienced coders tend to be much more consistent. And they don’t tend to use an indentation of 8. Some of your code is difficult to follow, just because of the formatting.

In App.js, why are those class methods defined in the constructor?

In App.js, I like the currying, but sortList does not to be a class method, it can just be a simple, pure function.

In Column.js, things like this:

showModal = () => {
		this.setState({ show: true});
	};

could just be:

showModal = () => this.setState({ show: true});

It’s a small thing, but it is probably more common for experienced coders. There are a few places where you could do this.

Maybe it’s too nitpicky, but a file like DataBase.js - I don’t know why that is PascalCased. It is not a component or a module. In fact, as a dummy data file, I probably would have just made it a json file to make it clearer what it is. For that matter, I would have put things like this in their own folder. For that matter, I’d at least put all the components in their own folder, called “components”. There are different ways to organize a React project. It may not matter much on a small project, but it can become critical in larger projects.

In Modal.js…

const container = document.createElement('div');
document.body.appendChild(container);
ReactDOM.render(<Modal />, container);

This is probably the biggest sin. In React, you should not be manipulating the DOM like that. You should be including that component directly in the App.js and controlled through callbacks/context/redux. You can also put it where you need it and control it/them directly there.

There is a lot of stuff in your index.html, a lot of content that I would expect to be React components. For a React project, you don’t tend to write a lot of html (except as JSX). Usually inside the body, you mainly have just <div id="root"></div>. (There might be an exception that is not occurring to me at the moment.)

For this and the previous comments, one of the points is to let React handle the DOM.

But still, it looks pretty good, there is some good, solid React in there, you’re on the right path.

If I can be so bold, as a developer, I’d like to see you continue to develop your React skills, work on some supporting libraries, like redux, redux thunk or saga, a forms library, maybe a U/I component library, more use of APIs, i18n, etc. I would want you to keep building more complex apps. You may have to learn a little backend to set up your own server. Then you could learn some things like authentication. After that, you might pick a project and write out some unit tests, etc.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. But like I said, I think you’re on a good path. Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

Next thing for getting a job ASAP is to apply. Scan LinkedIn and/or Indeed for “associate” and/or “junior” developer/engineer jobs posted in the last 24 hours. Make it a habit to do so every morning. There’s usually 3-5/day on weekdays getting posted.

Peruse the job ads, keyword match your resume as needed, and the cover letter, and apply. For time efficiency, I’d recommend only doing instant apply positions.

This will hopefully net some interviews which will either a) get an offer or b) help highlight your blind spots / areas you need to focus on most. Seeing job ads on a daily basis also helps you see what you need to focus on. From what I’ve seen, 50-150 applications is about average, so with 3-5 postings/day…. 10-50 days to first job with some luck, focus, and using that time between applying to shore up your weak spots.

2 Likes

Yeah, I forgot to mention the job search. Linkedin is good, so is glassdoor, monster, angel .co, etc. Stack Overflow also has a good jobs board. Reactiflux has a job board focused on React. Also, there may be a service that is popular where you are.

Also reach out on linked in. If there is a local company you like, reach out to their engineers and hiring people. Don’t ask for a job, ask them for advice, like what they do and want to know what you would have to learn to work at a place like theirs.

And Ethan is right about this taking a lot of applications. So that also means a lot of rejections.

2 Likes