I'm really struggling to understand this one!

1. I don’t understand why the .push() is applied to arr. 2. What is the purpose of adding the 2nd argument of the function to the 1st argument of a function.
  2. Then if we remove the first element of the array (doesn’t it only have one element (the item))?
  3. Isn’t an array generally represented with […, …]. At what point is the array (arr) declared?

I’m so hopeless lost with this question. Please help.

**Your code so far**

function nextInLine(arr, item) {
// Only change code below this line

return item;
// Only change code above this line

}

// Setup
var testArr = [1,2,3,4,5];

// Display code
console.log("Before: " + JSON.stringify(testArr));
console.log(nextInLine(testArr, 6));
console.log("After: " + JSON.stringify(testArr));
  **Your browser information:**

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/93.0.4577.82 Safari/537.36

Challenge: Stand in Line

Link to the challenge:

I don’t see any of what you are asking in your code. Did you forget to paste it in?

The challenge introduces the concept of a queue. That’s how a queue works.

Hi bbsmooth, Thank you for prompt reply.

To answer your question. Basically, I wasn’t understanding it to the point of adding any code. Initially I tried adding.
testArr.push();
testArr.shift();
as testArr = [1,2, 3, 4, 5]; was the only array that I could see in the code.

I’m thinking now I need to look into queues, as I haven’t come across this before.

The array you will be manipulating is the arr parameter passed into the function. This is the queue. Perhaps they could have named that parameter a little better?

So you want to do the following to arr:

• Add the number passed into the function as the second parameter (item) to the end of arr
  • Remove the first element from arr

And then the function should return the element that was removed.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.