Intermediate Algorithm Scripting: Missing letters help

Hi my fellow FCC warriors. I need help in this challenge because I have absolutely no clue what I’m doing in this challenge. I looked at the hints and I was told to use 2 methods: charCodeAt and fromCharCode which both I can’t imagine to use them effectively. In fact, I feel my code is trash and is lost and is all over the place. I look forward to your helps!
link to challenge: https://learn.freecodecamp.org/javascript-algorithms-and-data-structures/intermediate-algorithm-scripting/missing-letters/

function fearNotLetter(str) {

let arr =  [];

let testStr = "d"
let code = testStr.charCodeAt(0)
console.log(code)

for ( let i = 0; i < str.length; i++) {
if (str.charCodeAt(i) > 0 ) {
arr.push(str.charCodeAt(i))
}
  }
  console.log(arr)

for ( let i = 0; i < arr.length; i++) {
  if ( code < arr[i]) {
    arr.push(code)
  }
}

console.log(arr)

let convert = arr.map(elem => String.fromCharCode(elem))

console.log(convert)

let joined = convert.join("")

let filtered = joined.slice(joined.length-1)
console.log(filtered)

return filtered;

}

console.log(fearNotLetter("abce"));

Well I’m not the best to explain this, but I feel comfortable giving you two hint questions cause I just did this one myself.

1. What are you comparing this to, charCodeAt returns a number but are you looking for an equality that is greater than 0 or a charCode number?
  1. Your using two for loops, is it needed? Your first for loop starts at 0, but you found the first charCode already couldn’t you compare off of that one?

Again I apologize if this isn’t helpful, I’m here learning too, but I like to give help if I can.

for 1. i’m basically just converting all the alphabets into unicodes and then followed by “>0” which is basically just there for the sake of it since all the unicodes are basically more than 0. and if its more than 0, i just execute the following statements.

1. idk man…not too sure cuz in the first for loop i pushed the unicodes into “arr”. so then the second for loop, i iterate the “arr”

but anyways im not accomplishing anything despite all my huge chunks of code.

let testindex = str.charCodeAt(0);
  for ( let i = 1; i < str.length; i++) {
    if (str.charCodeAt(i)-1 ===  testindex) {
        // Would this be undefined because it passed the test?
    }
    else { return /* This where you can use the char code methods you mention  */ };
  }
}

This is the format I used…I don’t want to give anymore and I’m not saying this is the best way to go about it. I left out variables and other pieces if you have more questions please feel free to ask.

okay so first you change the letter of the first index to a unicode. then iterate them starting with index 1 which is “b”. and only b will pass the condition and execute its statements because “b” is 98 and 98-1 = 97 ( unicode of a ). so the first “if condition passes” it means the numbers are in order and the “else” means if its NOT in order? im still wondering what statements i should execute…

I left out some steps, after the first iteration don’t you have to update the test index?

“update index” as in increment ++ ? i did that and it looks like im comparing each letter to the letter BEFORE it. so for eg. i start iterating “b” then im comparing “b” to the letter before which is “a”. then i continue to iterate c, and then compare it to to the letter before it which is b and so on.

now if im understanding this correctly, if the “if condition passes every loop and until the loop is done”. i should “return undefined”? because it means every letter is in order and there’s no “Missing letter”.

but im wondering what should i put in the if STATEMENT everytime i loop ONCE?

As for the “else”, it means the letters are not in order which means there’s a missing letter in between. any idea how to place the appropriate letter between them?

im guessing i’ll have to use fromCharCode in the executing statements? how do i use it effectively?

Sorry for the late response.

Your comparing it to the letter in the parameter string so you would update testindex
by str.fromCharCode(i)

You would be getting the fromCharCode at the index you found using the charCodeAt method.

I like to use the w3s docs to learn more about the methods I would also look there to learn more about how to effectively use those methods.

The instructions ask to return the missing letter not to insert it into the given string.

Still not working for some reason… where am i going wrong

return undefined;

}

else { return String.fromCharCode(str.charCodeAt(i)-1)

};

}

testindex++

}

i feel like the “return undefined” shouldn’t be in the if condition, it should be returned like in the final line of the function. but there’s 1 more issue. for the “else statements”. shouldn’t the final iteration go through “e” and it is “101” then i do 101 - 1 = 100 which is “d” the answer. but it doesn’t seem to work out.

NVM I SOLVED IT lmao. i put the "testindex too far below. i fixed it, its just now in the for loop. so now the comparison works, and eveyrthing works! :smiley:

}

else { return String.fromCharCode(str.charCodeAt(i)-1)

};
testindex++
  }

return undefined
}

1 Like

I’m glad it works!
Although testindex should still be set to str.charCodeAt(i)

yeah ikr i just typed it out for the sake of it. cuz it worked without it

Like this?

if (str.charCodeAt(i)-1 !==  testindex) {
        return String.fromCharCode(str.charCodeAt(i)-1)

}

testindex++
  }

}

1 Like