Intermediate Front End Challenges, are you kidding me?

Totally understand how you feel. I was recently doing some of the intermediate challenges and surprised at the challenging aspect of some of them, using techniques not necessarily taught as far as I can remember (like recursion). But like everyone else has already said, look stuff up, read the docs, ask for help on the forums and elsewhere, etc. The struggle will be well worth it!

I have always thought of my self as self educated. Everything I know, with few exceptions, I taught myself. Sometimes I would have feelings of jealously of those enrolled in formal educational settings where there was encouragement and teachers in abundance.

Then I was enrolled in some college courses, mostly centered around math. I had the perfect teacher (for me) who merely pointed to the material I was to review and then report back. Thatā€™s how I learned calculus. I loved it. It seemed the text book was written just for me.

I realized however, that I had taught myself, once again. Now I realize all of us teach ourselves. Itā€™s true, some of us get more help than others. But ultimately we are responsible to ourselves to grasp and then apply the principles of whatever it is we are learning.

It appears from your experience you want more background explanation. Well, you didnā€™t get that additional explanation. What you need to do is get it yourself.

Your teachers have given you an assignment. In the real world of programming, clients give you assignments. Most of the time they will not give you all of the background information you need to accomplish the assignment. Usually they do not know themselves what they really want. Really good programmers do the research to help their clients understand what the true requirements are. Once you have this information, you demonstrate how what you have learned applies to their needs. Then you apply it.

Take all of this FCC material as an opportunity to learn how to learn. It really builds your self confidence to master something you once thought was puzzling.

I wish you the very best.

3 Likes

Iā€™m right with you on this. I just finished up the algorithm challenges and am heading into the dreaded Intermediate Front End challenges. I set a date for myself to get down to actually coding the Random Quote Machine, but, I still feel overwhelmed with where to go.

Now, Iā€™m no expert on all of this, but I thought you could appreciate a tidbit from a fellow soldier down in the coding trenches. I think the key to all of this is really breaking things down. I plan on looking at the Random Quote Machine, and looking at others, to see what components I will need to build. After focusing on building each one(and using stack overflow and google nonstop), I will see what else there is for me to learn. This isnā€™t a linear track. It may seem that way, but Iā€™m beginning to learn that the real teacher in all of this is you. Donā€™t doubt your abilities and, most importantly, donā€™t lose hope!

1 Like

We will never get anything we want to get about programming through only one site.
FreeCodeCamp is the best places to get practice first. It gives us some basic info but it always not enough and it WILL be not enough, wherever you go. Nobody can give you all you really need to know on a silver platter if you are too lazy to open Google and search for more information instead of perturbations. How will you learn new things after you finish with all tasks here? How will you learn new frameworks: through someoneā€™s course or maybe through the real documentation and examples?
Before go deep into programming need to understand, you will need to learn and use lots of resources in the internet. For the first place put MDN (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/) to read some basic info, for the second to read some really good books like Eloquent Javascript (has some tasks after each chapter) or You donā€™t know JS (and I didnā€™t mention anything about the patterns, yet). And then come here and do your best with practice. A lot, A LOT of other courses has some problems with practice part: not enough tasks to make something really nice and learn smth new. And FCC really solve that problem with it, it gives us some ideas and inspiration to create something new, gives us an opportunity to go deep, awake the passion for programming and thatā€™s should be way more important than ā€œooooh such a pity, I donā€™t have enough info hereā€.
Take care.

Well I pushed through and finished em! Thanks again for the support everyone!!

1 Like