JavaScript Counting Cards works just fine but doesn't pass the challenge

Hey,
my problem is not that it wasn’t working. It works just fine and it always prints out the demanded answer. I don’t pass the challenge though? What did I do wrong? I thought that I had fulfilled all requirements specified by the hints.

Here’s my code:

var count = 0;

function cc(card) {
  // Only change code below this line
  for (let i = 0; i < card.length; i++) {
    switch(card[i]) {
      case 2:
      case 3:
      case 4:
      case 5:
      case 6:
        count++;
        break;
      case 7:
      case 8:
      case 9:
        count += 0;
        break;
      case 10:
      case 'J':
      case 'Q':
      case 'K':
      case 'A':
        count--;
        break; 
    }
  }

if (count > 0) {
    count += " Bet";
  } else {
    count += " Hold";
  }

return count;

// Only change code above this line
}

You should not be adding string values to count.

if (count > 0) {
    count += " Bet";
  } else {
    count += " Hold";
  }
  console.log(count);
  return count;

I added a console.log statement above. Try it and see what you are adding to count. Remember, count is global, so it will retain it’s value between tests.

1 Like
for (let i = 0; i &lt; card.length; i++)   // can you explain what this loop does
{ switch(card[i]) {  // is card an array?

Thank You!
Instead of adding the string to count I just print it out alongside count. Like this:

if (count > 0) {
    return count + " Bet";
  } else {
    return count + " Hold";
  }

Now it passes the challenge :slight_smile:

1 Like

I used this loop so I could specify the card sequence within the card parameter itself (an array). I didn’t see any rules forbidding this so I figured it was legitimate.
The loop iterates(?) through my card-array so the switch statement is performed on each element of the array.

That is what I was thinking. That would work as a valid solution to a card counting algorithm. But in order to pass the assertion tests your function needs to take only one card per function call like this cc('K'); and then return an updated assessment on whether you should bet or hold.

The assertions will test a sequence of these function calls like cc(2); cc(3); cc(7); cc('K'); cc('A'); and then check to see that the last one returns the correct count and statement.

For example, the first test

cc(2); // returns 1 Bet
cc(3); // returns 2 Bet
cc(4); // returns 3 Bet
cc(5); // returns 4 Bet
cc(6); // return 5 Bet
// assertion checks that last call is '5 Bet'