Learn String Manipulation by Building a Cipher - Step 16

Tell us what’s happening:

i really dnt understand wht im supposed to do… my brain is not braining… wdym by add .lower with print

Your code so far

# User Editable Region

text = 'Hello World'
shift = 3
alphabet = 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz'
text.lower
print(text.lower)
index = alphabet.find(text[0])
print(index)

# User Editable Region

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/118.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

Challenge Information:

Learn String Manipulation by Building a Cipher - Step 16

You appear to have created this post without editing the template. Please edit your post to Tell us what’s happening in your own words.

i hv to transform a string into its lowercase equivalent with the .lower() method. Add another print() call to print text.lower() and see the output.

but i dnt really get it

plsss someone help, im really stuck

You need to add a single line of code, which is a print() call. And you need to pass text.lower() to that print() call. Reset the code and try again.

its not workingg
cud u like explain further

Show me the updated code.

text = 'Hello World'
shift = 3
alphabet = 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz'
index = alphabet.find(text[0])
print(text.lower)
print(index)

You need to call .lower():

like .lower(print)

im stupid so i dnt get it wdym by call

I mean that parentheses have a precise meaning and if you don’t write them after the function you want to call (in your case the lower() function) you are not doing anything.

If the instructions say you need to print text.lower(), why do you try to print text.lower?

2 Likes

okay so print(text.lower())

IT WORKED! thanks luv
u rlly r a patient person huh
<3

1 Like

Glad it helped. Try to read carefully the instructions. Often the answer is already there.

2 Likes