Learn String Manipulation by Building a Cipher - Step 23

Tell us what’s happening:

I am not able to understand the prompt here. Can you please help?

Your code so far

text = ‘Hello World’

shift = 3

alphabet =‘abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz’

index=alphabet.find(char)

for char in alphabet:

print(char)

/* User Editable Region */

text = 'Hello World'
shift = 3
alphabet ='abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz'
index=alphabet.find(char)
for char in alphabet:
    print(char)

/* User Editable Region */

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/109.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

Challenge Information:

Learn String Manipulation by Building a Cipher - Step 23

you can’t use char before the loop, declare index inside the loop

I tried doing so but the prompt asks me to declare it before the loop.

no it doesn’t ask you to declare before the loop, where is that written?

it says to do in the beginning of the for loop.

I tried :frowning:

beginning of the loop is not before the loop, also you changed the loop, why is it iterating on alphabet?

The prompt reads, “Before printing the current character, declare a variable called index and assign the value returned by alphabet.find(char) to this variable.”

yes, so why did you change the variable the loop is iterating over?

Im not able to follow you, can you start over? Im sorry

why did you change this line?

I didn’t change it; I was just experimenting with the code trying to find the answer.

You did change it, it isn’t as it should be and it wasn’t something to change this step. Restore it at what it was to be nearer to passing the step

your loop should as below where you need to change the “alphabet” in the first line of the loop to “text”
Mod edit: removed

@tariq89q

It is great that you solved the challenge, but instead of posting your full working solution, it is best to stay focused on answering the original poster’s question(s) and help guide them with hints and suggestions to solve their own issues with the challenge.

We are trying to cut back on the number of spoiler solutions found on the forum and instead focus on helping other campers with their questions and definitely not posting full working solutions.