Learning new languages

Hello. I was wondering what the learning curve would be if one were to try to learn Java after JS. Thanks.

If you took the time to learn the underlying programming principles, learning other languages is much easier as at that point is just learning different syntax and some different particolarities of the different languages

3 Likes

The “curve” ends up primarily being the syntax, and whatever underlying design principles the language itself is written with.

What I mean by this is the syntax are the “rules” of the language, or how the actual characters/words are interpreted. Many languages follow similar syntax, to the point there are “groups” of them. Java and JavaScript might be named the same, but are very different, however they are both considered to be “c-like” in their syntax. For example, if, and for loops are syntactically extremely similar.

The “underlying design principles” are more the “why” a language could/would be used. JavaScript is the language of the web, as such flexibility, and comparability always come to mind, as JS doesn’t have fully control over the runtime.

Where-as Java was written to be more an answer to C, so its entire runtime architecture is based around “write once, run anywhere”, and statically type-safe. So it’s vastly less flexible and way more ridged to develop something in Java than it is with JavaScript.

With those in mind, the actual underlying theory of what code can do is the same. If you’re given a problem say: “find the largest word in a file full of words”, the syntax might be different between the two languages, but the underlying optimal solution would be the same.

2 Likes

All languages are basically the same if you learn the basics/principles to begin with.

1 Like

Thanks everyone; much appreciated.

1 Like

I would recommend you make sure you understand object-oriented programming if you want to learn java as you basically can’t do anything without it.

1 Like

Yes, indeed. What might be a good resource to learn OOP?

I don’t have any off the top of my head. I’d just google for “what is object oriented programming” or something like that. Any course on java should hopefully include all of this information, so it is possible to learn it while you learn java. My suggestion was more of a tip to read about the basics of OOP before you dive in so you have a head start.

1 Like

Got it, thanks. MDN covers OOP (I read most of it), but I don’t know how comprehensive it is.