Leetcode? HackerRank? AlgoExpert? Projects? What next?

I thought I knew what path I should take, but now I’m overwhelmed. I work full time and have young kids, so time is very limited. What should I focus on?

I’ve already completed the Javascript course here and feel that it was quite easy. I’ve been coding and using javascript for 2 decades in personal endeavors. I have a BSc in Electrical Engineering and Physics and a MSc in Water Resources Engingeering. So my math and problem solving skills are well honed. And my undergrad degree introduced me to basic Comp Sci concepts.

Practically speaking, I’ve used Javascript with PHP and MySQL to create a basic inventory management system and later my graphics for my master’s thesis. Lately I’ve been writing a lot of Google Workspace Add-ons and Google Apps Scripts for practical automation in my current job (a government bureaucratic position).

All that being said, I don’t think I’m ready for a technical interview for a backend/fullstack position (my preference), but I don’t know what to do next.

My github profile is here: DBailey0629 (Daniel Bailey) · GitHub
My LinkedIn is here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/daniel-bailey-0aa2673a/

It’s been suggested I work through HackerRank because employers actually use that. But there are also Leetcode and AlgoExpert. I can’t spend all my time getting similar certifications on all these different platforms. What’s the most efficient use of my time?

I think you need to focus on a Frontend framework, React or Angular are the most job popular

1 Like

Hello!

You are in a great position with your experience, especially the fact that you are already writing code in practice. No real need for a portfolio to prove your skills, you can still have a simple one if you like.

There are services, from free to expensive, that will prepare you for interviews. I don’t have any experience with them, so I can’t suggest one.

This sounds like the best next step in your situation.
Best of luck.

1 Like