Longest word in a sentence

Anyone here can help me regarding my code and tell me what is wrong in this code ??

function findLongestWord(str) {
  string = "";
  s = "";
  a = 0;
  for(var i = 0; i < str.length; i++){
    string = string + str.charAt(i);
    if(str.charAt(i) == " "){
      s = string.length;
      if(s>a){
        a = s;
      }

}
  }

return a;
}

findLongestWord("The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog");

The following line is causing string to grow by one character at each iteration of the for loop.

Then when you encounter a " ", you set s to string’s length and then set a to s if s is greater than a. This is all fine, but you need to set string back to an empty string within this if statement’s code block or string will just keep growing.

So, after if statements i should add, string = “” , then will it work??
btw thaks for the answer//
or what should it edit??

You want to set string = “” within the if statement block. I will let you figure out exactly where, because this is a great learning opportunity.

1 Like

Thank you so much…yeah really amazing people here!
But its still not working, i have set string = “” after a = s;
why?
it is returning 12 instead of 6

Can you post your code again? I need to see exactly where you put it.

1 Like

function findLongestWord(str) {
string = “”;
s = “”;
a = 0;
for(var i = 0; i < str.length; i++){
s = string.length;
if(s>a){
a = s;
string = “”;
}

}

}

return a;
}

findLongestWord(“May the force be with you”);

When I said inside the if statement, I was referring to the

I will give you a hint by asking a question. Do you only want to reset string to blank if string’s length (s) is greater than a (the longest length so far) or after any string length?

its just that every time we find space, we store the length of string before space.And then empty the string and assign it upto the next space we get , then compare its length to the previous string’s length…
Btw now it will work??
And also we resret string after every space…

I think I may not have phrased my question correctly. I was trying to get you to see that you should not put the string = “” inside the if (s>a) block. You simply need to put the string = “” on the line after this if statement block. I will put the answer below (blurred) in case you still want to try to fix it yourself.

if(s>a){
        a = s;
      }
      string = ""; // since we need to start building a new word regardless if s > a
1 Like

Thank you so much …
Btw sir what is your job:?
Beside helping students like me…lol

I have my own company which provides web services for real estate companies.

1 Like

Thats great sir… Any advice for me to get a dev. job faster?
In which topics i should practice most?

I suggest reading through the many topics in the Getting a Developer Job part of this forum. You will see many have asked this exact question and have received many great responses.

1 Like