Main element question 4

What has happened to the site. I thought the questions where not explained very good 4 weeks ago now i am giving up. this is ridiculous. I am not the brightest of people but i can follow instructions given to me. Now they mention a child of the main element that i have never heard of and is not in any of the exercises I have done so far. I know its free but come on. I give up so thanks for taking my dream away, your just making things too hard when they dont have to be.

<html>
<body>
  <h1>CatPhotoApp</h1>
  <m
  <h2>Cat Photos</h2>

<!-- TODO: Add link to cat photos -->
  <p>Click here to view more cat photos.</p>
  </main>
</body>
</html>
  **Your browser information:**

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/101.0.4951.67 Safari/537.36

Challenge: Step 6

Link to the challenge:

What problem are you referring to and which curriculum? The community is more than happy to help if you have a question. Someone can either explain it better or help you if you are stuck writing the required code.

Also, looking at your code you posted, your opening main element is just “<m”. If you don’t write properly it will throw an error out.

I also want to touch on the parent and child relationship. In terms of code, a parent is the first element prior to any indentation. Any elements below and indented from this element are the child elements. For example, in your situation, the body element is the parent and the elements h1, main, h2 and p are child elements of the body element.

It can also be something like this:

<main>
  <section>
    <p>In this example section is a child of main and p is a child of section</p>
  </section>
</main>

Thank you. If this is not explained in the course and then it is mentioned in a question(child element) then how is someone supposed to know what it means. Can you also answer why the desktop of the course looks so different and the hint help options and other helps have gone. What’s going on is this meant to put the less clever of us off because it is working. I was just getting on my footing with the kitty ipsum paragraph ect in the old curriculum. What is the mention of 6 spaces.?
thanks.

The new Responsive Web Design curriculum content has been released.

FAQ:

1. Can I complete the old content?
  • Yes. The old content is still available, and has been renamed to Responsive Web Design Legacy
  1. What will happen to my progress?
  • Nothing. Your past progress will still be available in the Responsive Web Design Legacy curricula
  1. Can I claim the old certificate?
  • The certifications are exactly the same. All you need to claim a certificate is to complete the 5 Certification Projects which are identical for both the Responsive Web Design and Responsive Web Design Legacy curricula
  1. Should I stop doing the legacy content, and just start over with the new content?
  • This is entirely up to you. Majority of the topics are the same - just taught in a different way. (See Project-Based Curricula)
  1. How do I use the new editor?
  • The new editor is as close to an external text editor as we wanted to get it. If the files for the challenge have been enabled, you can access the index.html and styles.css tabs which you should use for the respective code.
  • Two main differences between this editor and other online editors:
    • You need to link your styles.css file to your HTML (just like you would in real web-development), by adding the following line to the head of your HTML:
<link href="styles.css" />
    • You are encouraged to include the DOCTYPE, html, head and body tags for each project.

Often times websites that teach you how to code will give you enough information to start with and complete the lessons but will not completely explain every detail. I believe this is intentional because it not only would make lessons extremely long reads; but it also requires you to look things up and research more information and at the same time you are learning from what new information you have read. There have been many times where I look up one thing and I keep branching out from that one topic learning other things about related topics on top of what I initially sought out to learn.

I personally had to look up the parent and child relationship before when I ran into the same mention of it because I was confused what they were talking about when it came up.

As for the hint and help options, if you get a lesson wrong enough times it will allow you to ask for help in the forums. I have not looked yet and cannot currently look but the hints should still be there. If they are not, they likely removed them because they essentially gave you the answer and providing the answer to someone does not help them grow and only hinders them further.

As JeremyLT has mentioned, the look of the curriculum changed because you were previously in the old (now referred to as legacy) curriculum and they added a new layout where the content is the same. This is beneficial for when you take projects away from freeCodeCamp and start to use a text editor or IDE as this new format more closely resembles those.

I don’t know what you mean by 6 spaces. I have not come across anything about it from my recollection. I would be more than happy to help if you could direct me to where you first seen it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.