Make a CSS Heartbeat using an Infinite Animation Count-- Help

Tell us what’s happening:
I don’t quite understand the purpose of :affter and :before. It was explained in the earlier lessons but it’s not entirely clear why it does.

Why do we need it to create a heart? How did we get it to the opposite side of one another? Why does content have to contain a string?

I know it’s a lot of questions but It think once you break it down for me, I will get it.

Your code so far

<style>
  .back {
    position: fixed;
    padding: 0;
    margin: 0;
    top: 0;
    left: 0;
    width: 100%;
    height: 100%;
    background: white;
    animation-name: backdiv;
    animation-duration: 1s;
    animation-iteration-count: infinite; 

}

.heart {
    position: absolute;
    margin: auto;
    top: 0;
    right: 0;
    bottom: 0;
    left: 0;
    background-color: pink;
    height: 50px;
    width: 50px;
    transform: rotate(-45deg);
    animation-name: beat;
    animation-duration: 1s;
    animation-iteration-count: infinite;
  }
  .heart:after {
    content: "";
    border-radius: 50%;
    top: 0px;
    left: 25px;
  }
  .heart:before {
    content: "";
    border-radius: 50%;
    top: -25px;
    left: 0px;
  }

@keyframes backdiv {
    50% {
      background: #ffe6f2;
    }
  }

@keyframes beat {
    0% {
      transform: scale(1) rotate(-45deg);
    }
    50% {
      transform: scale(0.6) rotate(-45deg);
    }
  }

</style>
<div class="back"></div>
<div class="heart"></div>

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/69.0.3497.100 Safari/537.36.

Link to the challenge:
https://learn.freecodecamp.org/responsive-web-design/applied-visual-design/make-a-css-heartbeat-using-an-infinite-animation-count

you create heart element and insert it before and after the style of the element to you’ve targeted.
you are targeting the same element using .heart:before and .heart:after–they are the pseudo-elements in the code. So, .heart is the pseudo-element selector itself that is needed to target the element.

you have to have the content property empty, otherwise, the pseudo-element wouldn’t work.

Basically, CSS can’t not let you draw a heart using just one element. You need a base shape in order to create other shape. A base shape in this example is diamond, which is .heart element. The other shape, which is .heart:before is like rectangle with rounded top on the left side over the diamond shape. .hear:after is same shape, it just placed on the right side over the diamond shape. These three shapes place top of each other to make a heart shape.

hope it helped!

below the link will help you understand more.

1 Like