Mean_standar deviation_variance calculator

kindly help, I have a syntax error in the project below.

import numpy as np
def calculate(list):

if len(list)!=9:
     raise ValueError("List should have nine elements.")
  list=np.array(list).reshape((3,3))

'mean':[(np.mean(list,axis=1)).tolist(), (np.mean(list,axis=0)).tolist(), np.mean(list)],

'variance':[(np.var(list,axis=1)).tolist(), (np.var(list,axis=0)).tolist(), np.var(list)],

'standard deviation':[(np.std(list,axis=1)).tolist(), (np.std(list,axis=0)).tolist(), np.std(list)],

'max':[(np.max(list,axis=1)).tolist(), (np.max(list,axis=0)).tolist(), np.max(list)],

'min':[(np.min(list,axis=1)).tolist(), (np.min(list,axis=0)).tolist(), np.min(list)],

'sum':[(np.sum(list,axis=1)).tolist(), (np.sum(list,axis=0)).tolist(), np.sum(list)]

return{
      'mean': mean,
      'variance': variance,
      'standard deviation': std_dev,
      'max': max,
      'min': min,
      'sum': sum
    }

I’ve edited your post for readability. When you enter a code block into a forum post, please precede it with a separate line of three backticks and follow it with a separate line of three backticks to make it easier to read.

You can also use the “preformatted text” tool in the editor (</>) to add backticks around text.

See this post to find the backtick on your keyboard.
Note: Backticks (`) are not single quotes (’).

This looks like the definition of a dictionary object, but I don’t see a preceding declaration.

I suppose you meant to put those variable names in place of the dictionary keys above.

Personally I would write this:

return {
	'mean':[(np.mean(list,axis=1)).tolist(), (np.mean(list,axis=0)).tolist(), np.mean(list)],

'variance':[(np.var(list,axis=1)).tolist(), (np.var(list,axis=0)).tolist(), np.var(list)],

'standard deviation':[(np.std(list,axis=1)).tolist(), (np.std(list,axis=0)).tolist(), np.std(list)],

'max':[(np.max(list,axis=1)).tolist(), (np.max(list,axis=0)).tolist(), np.max(list)],

'min':[(np.min(list,axis=1)).tolist(), (np.min(list,axis=0)).tolist(), np.min(list)],

'sum':[(np.sum(list,axis=1)).tolist(), (np.sum(list,axis=0)).tolist(), np.sum(list)]
}
1 Like

“list” is a Python-keyword and should never be overwritten.

The error itself is prett simple, you didn’t create an object, you just assigned a list to a nameless string containing “mean” - that just cannot work.
Meaning you never declared a variable mean yet you assign it within the dictionairy.

Sh0es gave you the solution for this.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.