MongoDB and Mongoose: Create Many Records with model.create() - tests complete with no errors, but lesson does not pass?

UPDATE: THE MAIN ISSUE OF THIS TOPIC IS RESOLVED - issue was because I was not using the arrayOfPeople variable. At least, that’s what seems to be the case - there was no error specifying it but I noticed that variable after the fact and when I made use of it the lesson passes along with the tests. However, I am curious about us passing in a callback to create() when the documentation does not state it as a parameter, not even an optional one: (Mongoose v8.0.3: Model)

I have completed this lesson and all the tests complete:

// running tests
Creating many db items at once should succeed
// tests completed

However the lesson does not pass. I have tried many different ways of completing the challenge, see various code attempts below:

const createManyPeople = (arrayOfPeople, done) => {
  const people = [
    {
      name: 'Jane',

},
    { name: 'Chloe',
      favoriteFoods: ['apples']
    },
    {
      name: 'Alan',
      favoriteFoods: ['buns']
    }
  ];

/*
  Person.create(people)
  .then((data) => {
    console.log('success, data: ' + data);
    done(null, data);
  })
  .catch((err) => {
    console.log('error: ' + err);
    done(err);
  });

};
*/

/*
  Person.create(people, (err, data) => {
    if(err) {
      console.log(err);
      done(err);
    } else {
      done(null, data);
    }
  });
*/

Person.create(people, function (err, data) {
    if (err) return console.log(err);
    done(null, data);
  });

};

The last attempt there was taken directly from a post about the solution to the lesson. I can provide more of the code if necessary.

I really don’t understand what is going on, the tests complete. I figure the first attempt there with the .then() should work since create() returns a promise, and again the tests pass but the lesson doesn’t succeed. I tried the approach where we pass a callback to create() even though the documentation for create() does not say that it takes a callback (Mongoose v8.0.3: Model) but I get the same results - tests pass but lesson doesn’t.

The lessons are based on an older version of Mongoose, V7 and above no longer use callbacks (docs).

If you still need help with your code please post a Replit.

1 Like

Oh I see, thanks. No, this topic can be closed - I have passed the lesson.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.