MongoDB Save not working (Time out)

I’ve passed all MongoDB challenges up to MongoDB and Mongoose - Create and Save a Record of a Model. When I submit my repl url, I always get the error:

// running tests
Creating and saving a db item should succeed (Test timed out)
// tests completed

Here is my code so far for myApp.js:

const mongoose = require("mongoose");

mongoose.connect(process.env.MONGO_URI, {useNewUrlParser: true, useUnifiedTopology: true});

var Schema = mongoose.Schema;

const PersonSchema = new Schema({
  name: { type: String, required: true },
  favoriteFoods: [String]
});

const Person = mongoose.model("Person", PersonSchema)

var createAndSavePerson = function(done) {

const taylor = new Person({name: "taylor", age: 31, favoriteFoods: ["Pad Thai", "Fettucine Alfredo"]});

taylor.save(function(error, data){
    if(error) return console.error(error);
    done(null, data);
  });
};

and my .env:

MONGO_URI="mongodb+srv://fcc2:<myPassword>@fcc.tbyo9.mongodb.net/fccDB?retryWrites=true&w=majority";

I thought it was an issue with the connection string, so I followed steps in this article https://docs.mongodb.com/manual/reference/connection-string/, but had no luck. I also deleted the user, ip whitelist, and database from my mongo cluster and recreated them thinking that I did something wrong there, but that didn’t help. I looked at the provided solution, and as far I can tell, I have the same code. I also tried logging the mongoose object and see this, which seems to indicate it isn’t connecting:

Mongoose {
  connections:
   [ NativeConnection {
       base: [Circular],
       collections: [Object],
       models: [Object],
       config: [Object],
       replica: false,
       options: null,
       otherDbs: [],
       relatedDbs: {},
       states: [Object],
       _readyState: 2,
       _closeCalled: false,
       _hasOpened: false,
       plugins: [],
       id: 0,
       _listening: false,
       _connectionOptions: [Object],
       client: [MongoClient],
       '$initialConnection': [Promise],
       then: [Function],
       catch: [Function] } ]

Is the end-point I provide supposed to be something other than the base url of my repl? Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/84.0.4147.135 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Create and Save a Record of a Model

Link to the challenge:

I figured out the issue. In the .env file, I needed to remove the semi-colon at the end of the line where I set the MONGO_URI:

MONGO_URI="mongodb+srv://fcc2:<myPassword>@fcc.tbyo9.mongodb.net/fccDB?retryWrites=true&w=majority"

The above worked. Took me three days of troubleshooting to figure that out :frowning: