Moving a file to a folder

i have run the command

mv footer.jpeg client/assets/images

i keep getting the below error

It's in the original images folder. You can use that path with the move command to move it. Move footer.jpeg to the client/assets/images folder while in the website folder.
1 Like
It's in the original images folder. You can use that path with the move command to move it. Move footer.jpeg to the client/assets/images folder while in the website folder.

sorry, this is the command i was told to run but i ran the above and it is not working

@Mbadady can you post the output of the command pwd

you need to be in the website folder
If you are in the website folder, you need to write the path to footer.jpeg in the images folder

reset the step, make sure you are in the website folder, use the find command to check the paths, and then use the mv command

you need to use the path to the file that is inside the images folder

use the find command to see the paths of all the files and folders

i did

see below screenshot

look at the first few lines, you have the path of the footer image
to move it staying in the website folder you need to use that path

mv footer.jpeg client/assets/images

is the above not the right command

do you have a footer.jpeg inside the website folder?

You are in the website folder, the image is in the images folder, you need to write the path from the website folder to the image as first argument. That’s why you need the find command, to know exactly what path that is

honestly, i am confused. How to i write the ./image as the first argument.

i did below previously and it worked and the below is the hint i am being given

mv header.png client/assets/images

do you understand what find is showing?
it shoes the path to each folder and file, right?

So, now you are in the website folder, you want to do something on the footer.jpeg file which is inside the images folder, so you need to write the path to the footer.jpeg file. The path has been shown to you using the find command, so you can use that as first argument.

The file is not in the folder you are in, so you need to write how to reach it, and that is the path.

In the same way that as second argument you have the path to the images folder

First make sure that footer.jpeg exist in project/website/images directory, and your prompt in the website directory then go with this command :
~/project/website$ mv ./images/footer.jpeg client/assets/images/
Good luck

mv footer.jpeg client/assets/images is not working since the footer.jpeg file is inside the first images folder . I solve it using mv ./images/footer.jpeg client/assets/images

How did you manage to solve it?

No matter what I do, the system is not recognizing the change. I tried all of the options you guys mentioned and none seem to trigger the completion notification.

Any thoughts?

Before

After:

That is an awesome solution for me. thx so much.