Mutations -- Code Help!

Hey, I’m having trouble with this lab and I feel like I have it figured out… But for some reason this code isn’t working as intended. Can someone give me some insight on where I might’ve gone wrong? Or what I’m missing possibly. I’ve done tests and the if statement I feel like should be returning false for this but continues to return true.

function mutation(arr) {

var str1 = arr[0].toLowerCase();
var str2 = arr[1].toLowerCase();

var regexp = /[A-Za-z]/gi;

var match1 = str1.match(regexp);
var match2 = str2.match(regexp);

var sort1 = match1.sort();
var sort2 = match2.sort();

for (i = 0; i < str2.length; i++) {
    if (sort1.indexOf(sort2[i]) === -1) {
      return false;
    } 
    return true;
  }
}

mutation(["hello","hey"]);

I’ve edited your post for readability. When you enter a code block into the forum, remember to precede it with a line of three backticks and follow it with a line of three backticks to make easier to read. See this post to find the backtick on your keyboard. The “preformatted text” tool in the editor (</>) will also add backticks around text.

markdown_Forums

1 Like

Your for loop is only checking the first letter of str2. It either returns true or false after doing a comparison. As soon as a return statement is reached, a function is done.

Oh man… Okay so I moved my return so its out of the if statement… yet I’m still received wrong true/false answers.

Omg lol thanks… Seems like most of my misunderstanding in programming is just the syntax placement. Thanks for clearing another problem up for me.