My lesson progress is missing

My lesson progress has been wiped clean. How can I get all of my lesson progress back? I was 90% finished with Web Development and 50% finished with JavaScript. How can I prevent this from happening again? My progress is not showing up on FREE CODE CAMP as it usually does. I was working on lessons Friday, April 24, 2020, and, now all of my lesson progress is gone. PLEASE HELP?

There are two different types of saved progress for Free Code Camp: your profile and your browser cache.

A list of your completed challenges is saved to your account in the FCC database. You can see the list of completed challenges by looking at your public portfolio. With a growing curriculum already over 1,400 lessons and a community of millions of people, FCC does not store every solution to every challenge in its database. When you complete a challenge, there is a modal that gives you the option to download your solution. This gives you the option to save a copy of any solution that you may want to reference later. There are some challenges which are classified as projects required for certifications. Your solutions to those can be viewed on your settings page.

Your in-editor code is saved in your browser’s local storage. Recent in-progress code from the challenge editor is also saved in your local browser cache when you run tests. If you are completing lessons and do not see your recent code, then your local storage has been cleared or something is preventing FCC from writing to your browser’s storage. This could be a browser setting, a privacy extension, or a browser version incompatibility. Especially as you get to more complicated challenges that may take multiple sessions, I strongly recommend saving your in-progress work outside of the browser cache.

This is a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of your GitHub account, but you can also just save locally or use a service like repl.it which allows for versioning.

I recently cleared my cache - Saturday, April 25, 2020 which is something I often do. I didn’t know that all of my lesson progress was saved locally on my computer. Had I known I would have never deleted my entire cache knowing that all of my actual progress on the lessons would be deleted also. How can I get this hard won and worked for lesson progress back? I just can’t believe all of my lesson progress is gone just like that? How would you know if I completed all of the lessons for certification if it is only stored locally - on my computer? I’m not understanding this. I don’t want the code, I just want the lesson progress to show. I can go back and look at the specific code lessons if I have any questions that I need answering, but my entire lesson progress is missing. Could you possibly have my completed lessons progress stored somewhere at Free Code Camp? How would I receive certification from you if all of my progress is only on my computer? What if I change computers ? I’ve used other computers that were not mine, but my progress was still shown. I use the same account all of the time. Nothing has changed on my part aside from cleaning my cache. I’ve cleaned my cache before, but my lesson progress hasn’t disappeared. My lesson progress has always show regardless to what computer I’m using.

1 Like

If you read what I said above, you will see that your progress is NOT saved locally. A list of every completed challenge is saved to your account on the freeCodeCamp server.

If you are logging in using something like GitHub and the email address of that account is not the same as the one you created your freeCodeCamp account with, this will create a new freeCodeCamp account. You can log into your freeCodeCamp account using the original email address. Once you are logged in, you can change the email address of your freeCodeCamp account to match that of your preferred login method.

I am logged into my account using the same google sign in process I use every time. I’m on the page that I normally log into and I don’t see a way to get to a profile page other than the one I always sign into. I don’t see my progress. I’ve looked everywhere several times. I’ve only used Google. I’ve signed in and out several times. How do I get to a profile page? I’ve never did anything but sign in and out and code, but my progress has always shown where I left off at the last time I signed in. All I want is to see my progress so that I can continue my lessons where I left off at and I can receive credit for the lessons that I have already completed. Thank you so much for all of your help. But I’m afraid that my lesson progress is not showing up when I sign in with my normal sign in account which is google. I’ve had this happen to my account once before, but several hours later my lesson progress showed up. This time it is not showing up and it has been several hours – about 5 hours since I signed in. When it happened before I didn’t report it I just thought it was a server update, a server problem/glitch, or something else, but eventually all of my progress showed up as normal. It took about 2 hours. But this is much longer.

From your account settings you can see what email address is associated with your account, etc. If you portfolio is set to public, you can also see on what date you completed every challenge.

I’ve completed all of the procedures that you’ve suggested. But all of my real progress is not showing up. I’ve completed over 50 lessons in JavaScript. I know for a fact that I’ve completed the first 50 lessons of JavaScript. I’ve completed all of Responsive Web Design except for Grid, Flexbox, and the Projects sections. Something is wrong here. I’ve completed all of the lessons that I am telling you because I’ve had this account for quite some time - over one year. What do you suggest that I do here? All of my lesson progress that I’ve completed is not showing up, but it was all here Friday night. Something is wrong. I’ve completed quite a bit of work lessons coding on this site. What do you suggest that I do?

All I can tell you is that your progress is associated with your original account if you were actually logged in when you completed the challenges. You’re welcome to reach out to support@freecodecamp.org, but they will need to look up your account by email address too. Please keep in mind that freeCodeCamp gets over a million unique visitors a month and there are only a couple of people manning the email.

Keep in mind that the challenges are not required for the certificates. You can submit project links again on a new account with your preferred login.

1 Like

So, basically, what you’re telling me is that all of my original lesson progress is gone? I use the same log in information that I’ve used since I’ve started visiting Free Code Camp about a year and a half ago. Nothing has changed. I’ve always logged in using the same information that I’ve always used - GOOGLE. Nothing has changed about that. What do I need to get the certifications exactly - The completion of the projects? I liked the lesson progress indication as it helped me monitor where I was at in my lesson progress. If I want to know my progress henceforth what should I do? My email address is prominently displayed on my account. It’s the same, exact email that I’ve always used. Nothing has changed. I don’t understand how this happened. I was logged in when I completed the lessons that’s how I know where I left off, and that’s how I know where to pick up at when I log back in. Now, when I go to my lesson progress on my profile page it shows that I’ve just started today and I’ve only completed 3 lessons starting today. That’s ludicrous as I am on lesson 60 something in JavaScript starting today. Ludicrous because I couldn’t be on lesson 60 something if I hadn’t completed the other 59 lessons beforehand. How would I know the previous lessons in JavaScript - all of the lessons build on what you’ve previously learned, thus I would have to know something - like how would I know the previous information and how Free Code Camp works if I had never completed a lesson before or been to Free Code Camp if this was my very first day? I understand now that my lesson progress can just disappear for any reason. If all I need to get certifications is my projects then I will know to save my progress on my own computer going forward. I just like logging in and immediately knowing where to start based on where I left off with my previous lesson. Thanks for your help, although I didn’t get the answer I had hoped for. I need to contact support and give them my email and hopefully when they get around to it, or if they get around to it I can have my progress updated. By then I may as well redo all of the lessons, but my only concern is, what if this happens again. It’s already happened once before. But the progress updated within 2 hours as I’ve already stated.

I’m already a monthly donor. I started donating about 2 months ago when I decided to become a regular user on the site. That should be attached to my email account too. Is there a way for it to stop asking me for a monthly donation? For some odd reason it has started asking me again through a popup alert.

Hi @Sadiku, thanks for your patience and sorry for the inconvenience. Also, thank you @ArielLeslie for helping to troubleshoot this.

@Sadiku, it seems like you have duplicate accounts in our db. I’ll send you a message from support@freecodecamp.org with more details.

1 Like

I recently sent an email. I can’t log in to my account. I get a message telling me that the system is doing an “upgrade,” or “performing maintenance.” I don’t know whether this is a canned message, or related to my email accounts being merged. The message stated to check Twitter for more information, which I did, but I didn’t see anything on Twitter about “System Maintenance,” or a “system outage” on the freeCodeCamp Twitter account. Of course I am inquiring because I want to know how long it will be before I can get back to working on my lessons/challenges? Thank you.

It sounds like you should have an email from freeCodeCamp. Check your spam filter.