Need help organizing links into multiple columns

Hi everyone,

I was working on some code and ran into a bit of a problem.
For some background information: I’m new to HTML and to get better acquainted with it, I decided to work on a small website. On one of my webpages, I wanted to have a list of U.S. states, with each state being a clickable link that takes the user to the page for that state.

I want the links to be in multiple columns, not all jumbled up together or in one long column, however I am absolutely puzzled as how to do this. Here’s a picture example of what I’m trying to achieve:
example

Would I use the table element to break my links up? I tried using the div element but that didn’t give me the results I was looking for. The solution is probably so obvious, but I just cannot figure this out. Any help would be appreciated!

HI @vampire_bunny !

Welcome to the forum!

It would help to see what you have tried so far.
Maybe you can share a codepen link with your attempt.

It would help to see how you were using the div element. :grinning:
But you could use multiple divs and flexbox to create the result you want.

Hi @jwilkins.oboe :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks for the suggestion!
Here’s the initial way I had used the div element:
example 2
And here’s a link to the results (I wasn’t able to insert another picture into the post since I’m a new member. Hopefully the link can be accessed.):

I was going to do this for every link and then somehow split the list into multiple columns so that it’s not just one very long list. However, I feel like there is a much better way to go about doing this than putting a div element in between each link. Again, thank you for your suggestion! I’ll try the div/flexbox method and see how it comes out.