Need Help! Reverse a string challenge

Need Help! Reverse a string challenge
0.0 0

I wrote my own code, but my solution isn’t being accepted, even though I believe it is returning the correct string every time. Can someone tell me why my code doesn’t pass?

Here is the challenge:

Reverse the provided string.

You may need to turn the string into an array before you can reverse it.

Your result must be a string.

reverseString(“hello”) should return a string.
reverseString(“hello”) should become “olleh”.
reverseString(“Howdy”) should become “ydwoH”.
reverseString(“Greetings from Earth”) should return “htraE morf sgniteerG”.

Here is my code:

var reverse = [];
var reverseString = function(str) {
for (var i = str.length-1; i > -1; i--) {
  reverse.push(str[i]);
  if (i === 0) {
    reverse.toString();
    return reverse.join("");
  }
}
};

reverseString("Greetings from earth");

FCC checker doesn’t like global variables

yeah. Like the other poster said, I would just suggest declaring “reverse” within the scope of the reverseString function. (I just checked and that works for me. if that doesn’t work for you, maybe it is a browser issue?)

Try this:

function reverseString(str) {
return str.split(’’).reverse().join(’’);
}

reverseString(“hello”);

They instructed to use split, reverse, join method, but you only used join method thats why your code is not passed even it gives the result right.

No, they recommend to look into those functions. You can use whatever function you like.

Tests are not passing because the code uses global variable. FreeCodeCamp checker doesn’t reset global variables between tests, that’s why only first test pases.

var sort = [];
  sort = str.split('');
  sort.reverse();
  sort=sort.join('');

return sort;
}

reverseString("hello");

why must I split the string to reverse it and then join it? Thats not the same as just reversing the string? I don’t get it.

@bjones2nd it’s because .reverse() can reverse the order of an array but not a string. So you have to split the string first and create an array, reverse the array and then join it back together again into a new string.

Thanks! i didn’t know that…That makes sense.

question,

why can’t you do

var sort = [];
sort = str.split(’);
sort.reverse();
sort.join(’’);

return sort;???

another question,

How do you enclose code in the dark portion?

I was told triple ///.

I didn’t found any problem with this code, testing it in the browser. I did it like this:
var splStr = [];
splStr = str.split(’’);
var revStr = splStr.reverse();
var joinStr = revStr.join(’’);
return joinStr;
}

reverseString(“Greetings from Earth”);

You can also use the JavaScript array helper called reduce() to reverse a string. This isn’t the most direct solution to solve the problem, however, it is a different way to solve the problem. This is a great way to learn how reduce works.

The reduce function will combine all the elements of an array into a single value. In the example below, reduce will create a string of text for us.

Reduce will loop through each element in the array. So, for each iteration, we can “prepend” the character to the reversed string. The joining of the strings occurs in the callback passed into the reduce function. The callback expects two arguments for accumulator and the element in the array. In the example below, the accumulator is named “newStr”, and the element in the array is named “char”. The newStr contains the reversed string and the char variable contains the next letter in your original string of text.

The reduce function will call this callback function against each element in the array. Again, you have access to an “accumulator” and the value within the element of the array. Also, it is worth mentioning that reduce() is an array helper which requires us to use str.split(’’) to split the string into an array of characters.

As I mentioned earlier, this is not the most direct solution but it does offer an alternative way to solving the problem.

function reverse(str) {
  return str.split('').reduce((newStr, char) => char + newStr, '');  
}

console.log(reverse('Hello')); //Prints olleH