Need help with Random quote machine

Hello,

I’m about halfway through this project, but for whatever reason, on the render part of the JS section, it keeps saying it needs a semicolon, even though it wouldn’t make any sense. Can anyone help? Thanks!

getRandomIndex = () => {
    const { quotes } = this.state;

if(quotes.length > 0){
      const index = Math.floor(Math.random() * quotes.length);
      this.setState({
        index
      })

}

In the previous function, you are missing a closing curly brace. That is one of the reasons to always practice good formatting.

1 Like

Thanks!
I ended up starting over, I’m trying to be mindful with curly brackets.
I’m mostly following a tutorial, though no buttons or quotes are showing. I feel like I forgot something obvious, just don’t know what.

I’ve made what I think is good progress since, though I still have a ways to go.

On Codepen, if you click the arrow drop-down in the JavaScript editor, there’s an option to format your code.

Yep! I just finished, and it actually passed all the tests…but the actual button doesn’t work lol. It passed all 12 tests and on FreeCodeCamp, but I still want to fix it if possible. I’m just not sure if I missed something or messed up somewhere.

If I finish this function, it works for me:

const handleNewQuote = () => {};
1 Like

And this:

const getRandomIndex = (max) =>
  Math.round(Math.random() * (quoteData.length - 1 - 0) + 0);

How is this different than:

const getRandomIndex = () =>
  Math.round(Math.random() * (quoteData.length - 1 ));

And also, that is random but it isn’t an even distribution. Because you are rounding, the first index is only getting from 0 to .5, or 12.5% of the range (which you have as n-1). You have the same problem at the topSo, the distribution of the indexes would be:

0 - 12.52%
1 - 24.98%
2 - 24.99%
3 - 24.98%
4 - 12.53%

This is because you are trying to spread a range of 4 across 5 slots, and the first and last are only getting a half share, not what you want.

Traditionally, you get a random number for the whole range and then use the Math.floor. That way, each index will have have a whole number, 0 will have from 0 to .9999999999, 1 will have from 1 to 1.99999999, etc.

0 - 19.94%
1 - 19.96%
2 - 20.00%
3 - 20.08%
4 - 20.03%

You can mess around and see what I’m talking about like this:

const NUM = 10000000
  const data = [0,0,0,0,0]
  for (let i = 0; i < NUM; i++) {
    data[getRandomIndex()]++
  }
  data.forEach((datum, idx) => console.log(`${idx} - ${(100 * datum/NUM).toFixed(2)}%`))
1 Like

I changed the math.random portion, and I finished the function. It stilld does the same: passes all the tests but the button doesn’t actually produce any random quotes unless you refresh the page.
Thank you though!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.