nestingArrays = ["What for", ["seriously"]]

Nest one Array within Another Array.

I am sure that there will be a practical use for nesting arrays further down the line.

But.

Just wanna put the question out there and see what comes back.

So have at it.

cheers.

How about a table of rows that are not the same length?

You can often use objects instead or flatten them, but it can be useful as-is.

Imagine you have a web app that stores user information in an array, it might follow the pattern of:

[ [username, picture, email], [username, picture, email] ... ]

At some point you just want a list of email addresses, which you know you can access in a loop using something like array[i][2]

In real life you’d be more likely to use JSON for the example above, but it illustrates one simple use case.

1 Like

There’s data structures in which a master array that contains variable length arrays are very helpful such as Hash Tables.

When I was in school, I once had to write a text editor in C and the general strategy was to create an array which represented a page of text. Each location in the array would reference another array which was a specific line of text (of variable length). This was useful because I could have one master structure that represented the entire page and allow me to index into a line, as well as a sub structures to represent those lines and let me index to get specific chars. This was useful in updating cursor position, for example. Basically, an array of arrays was a very nice representation for this application.