Personal project issue-Unsure how to set main layout with grid

I am trying to create a layout with a slim sidebar on the side a header at the top and a main content next to the sidebar but I am struggling to set the correct styling to get the desired layout for my main content.
I have just started out with learning grid so am not that good at using it in my code.
This is my issue
When I made my grid div it was very small and below my sidebar, I tried to set an emplicit grid to make it larger but it only grew under it.

My sidebar class is before my .main-layout-grid class but switching the order didn’t fix anything.
I don’t know how to make it so the grid layout div is next to the sidebar and I am unsure if I have to use grid properties to do that (I have tried but none of my attempts helped the issure) , or if there is a layout problem elsewhere in my code.

Any help or insight on this issue will be greatly appreciated
:kissing_smiling_eyes:

share corresponding “html, css” or any live link for it, happy coding :slight_smile:

It sounds like you’re trying to create a layout with a sidebar on the left, a header at the top, and main content next to the sidebar. To achieve this using CSS Grid, you can define a grid container with two columns: one for the sidebar and the other for the main content. Here’s a basic example of how you can structure your HTML and CSS:

HTML:

<div class="wrapper">
  <header>Header</header>
  <aside class="sidebar">Sidebar</aside>
  <div class="main-content">Main Content</div>
</div>

CSS:

.wrapper {
  display: grid;
  grid-template-columns: auto 1fr; /* Sidebar takes up auto width, main content takes up remaining space */
  grid-template-rows: auto; /* Header will be sized automatically based on content */
  grid-template-areas: 
    "header header"
    "sidebar main-content"; /* Define grid areas for header, sidebar, and main content */
}

header {
  grid-area: header; /* Place header in the header grid area */
  background-color: #333;
  color: white;
  padding: 10px;
}

.sidebar {
  grid-area: sidebar; /* Place sidebar in the sidebar grid area */
  background-color: #f0f0f0;
}

.main-content {
  grid-area: main-content; /* Place main content in the main-content grid area */
}

In this example, we use the grid-template-columns property to define two columns: one for the sidebar (auto width) and one for the main content (1fr width, which means it takes up the remaining space). Then, we use the grid-template-areas property to define the layout of the grid areas, and the grid-area property to specify where each element should be placed within the grid.

Make sure to adjust the styles and sizes according to your specific layout requirements. If you provide more details or share your code, I can help you further troubleshoot the issue.
@adamaskaj94

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply! :smile_cat: But I have a couple of questions about your code example

.What is the purpose of the grid wrapper, I can see it includes both the sidebar and main content how does that work styling wise?

.Do I need to have used grid for my header and my sidebar? The styling for these two elements are already established I used flexbox for my sidebar and neither for my header

I will try apply some aspects of your code example if it doesn’t work I will share more of my code.

The grid wrapper serves as the container for all the elements in your layout. It allows you to apply grid layout properties to its children, defining how they should be positioned and sized within the grid.

In the provided CSS code, the .wrapper class is used to define the grid container. It specifies the grid template columns and rows, as well as the grid areas for the header, sidebar, and main content. By including both the sidebar and main content within the wrapper, you can easily control their layout and positioning relative to each other using grid properties.

Regarding your questions:

1. Purpose of the grid wrapper: The grid wrapper encapsulates the layout and allows you to define the overall structure of your page using CSS Grid. By setting up the wrapper as a grid container, you can control the layout of its children elements (header, sidebar, and main content) using grid properties like grid-template-columns, grid-template-rows, and grid-template-areas.

2. Do you need to use grid for header and sidebar: No, you don’t necessarily need to use grid for the header and sidebar if you’ve already established their styling using other methods like Flexbox. In the provided CSS code, only the main layout structure (wrapper, sidebar, and main content) is defined using grid layout, while the styling for the header and sidebar is already established separately. This approach allows you to mix different layout techniques (grid, Flexbox, etc.) based on your specific requirements and existing styling.
    @adamaskaj94

Super sorry for the late reply but I tried your code example in my code and it has worked basically perfectly ! I just want to say thank you thank you thank you because grid is a struggle for me I will continue trying to build my skills and get better! If you have any ways for someone to better their css grid skills please let me know!

Certainly! Here are some ways to improve your CSS Grid skills:

1. Documentation and Tutorials: Start by reading the CSS Grid documentation on MDN Web Docs or other reliable sources. Look for tutorials specifically focused on CSS Grid to get a solid understanding of its concepts and syntax.

2. Online Courses: Enroll in online courses dedicated to CSS Grid. Platforms like Coursera, Udemy, and Codecademy offer courses that cover CSS Grid comprehensively, often with practical exercises and projects.

3. Practice with Projects: Build real-world projects using CSS Grid. Start with simple layouts like grids for blog posts or image galleries, then gradually move on to more complex layouts such as responsive web designs.

4. Code Challenges: Participate in coding challenges or platforms like CodePen, CSS Grid Garden, or Grid by Example. These platforms provide interactive exercises and challenges to help you practice and reinforce your CSS Grid skills.

5. Study Existing Grid Layouts: Analyze websites that utilize CSS Grid layouts. Inspect their code, understand how they structure their grids, and try to replicate similar layouts as a learning exercise.

6. Experiment and Play: Don’t be afraid to experiment with different grid properties and values. Use browser developer tools to tweak grid properties in real-time and see how they affect layout.

7. Read Blogs and Articles: Follow blogs and articles by web development experts who frequently write about CSS Grid techniques, tips, and best practices. This can help you stay updated on the latest trends and features.

8. Collaborate and Share: Join web development communities or forums where you can ask questions, share your knowledge, and collaborate with others. Peer feedback and collaboration can greatly enhance your learning experience.

9. Build Responsive Designs: Practice creating responsive layouts with CSS Grid. Experiment with media queries and grid auto-placement to make your layouts adapt gracefully to different screen sizes and devices.

10. Review and Refactor: Regularly review your code and look for opportunities to refactor and optimize your CSS Grid layouts. This will not only improve your skills but also help you develop a cleaner and more efficient coding style.

2 Likes