Problem with my random quote generators twitter button

Problem with my random quote generators twitter button

Hi campers,

I almost have finished my random quote generator but I have a problem, the twitter button open twitter but appear in blank (whitout quote), I have tried solutions of previous post but dont work…and I dont know where is the problem

Here my pen

Thank you a lot!

I changed a couple things with your code. I am a beginner myself by the way, am no expert :slight_smile: I thing the main problem with your code was that var currentQuote didn’t have a value, it was an empty string. And that the function to open the tweet was outside of the newQuote function’s scope.

var quotesArr = ["Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.    -Charles R. Swindoll",
	"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later.    -Og Mandino",
	"The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.    -Unknown",
	"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.   -Confucius",
	"Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.    -Theodore Roosevelt",
	"When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.  -Elon Musk",
	"He who sows the wind shall reap the whirlwind     -Arthur Bomber Harris",
	"It's OK to have your eggs in one basket as long as you control what happens to that basket.    -H. G. Wells",
	"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.   -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe",
	"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.    -Terry Pratchett",
	"Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.    -Terry Pratchett",
	"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness    -Terry Pratchett",
	"The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp.    -Terry Pratchett",
	"Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.    -Terry Pratchett",
	"The entire universe has been neatly divided into things to a mate with, b eat, c run away from, and d rocks.  -Terry Pratchett",
	"Evil begins when you begin to treat people as things.    -Terry Pratchett",
	"It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done.    -Terry Pratchett",
	"Taxation is just a sophisticated way of demanding money with menaces.    -Terry Pratchett",
	"Most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally evil, but by people being fundamentally people    -Terry Pratchett."]; 

var randomQuote;
var currentQuote;

function newQuote() {
  randomQuote = Math.floor(Math.random() * (quotesArr.length));
  currentQuote = quotesArr[randomQuote];
  document.getElementById("Quotes").innerHTML = quotesArr[randomQuote];
  $("#tweet").click(function() {
     window.open('https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?&text=' + currentQuote);
   });   
}; 

Hi ebru!,

Thnanks a lot for you response and you time reviewing my code :slightly_smiling_face:. You was right I had a empty string :sweat:. Now the twitter button works almost perfect (when I click one time in the button the web browser open about nine windows) , I am working on that but without your help I would be stuck in the button function.

Thanks you a lot again!

If you are using Firefox browser you are see multiple windows, because the following was put inside the function newQuote:

$("#tweet").click(function() {
     window.open('https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?&text=' + currentQuote);
   }); 

Every time you click Next button, the function newQuote executes and adds a click event handler for the tweet button. If you click Next 10 times, and then click the tweet button, your code will cause 10 windows with the same quote to open the twitter url.

Hi randelldawson,

Thank you for you answer, I just have fixed the problem.

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face: