Problem with my random quote generators twitter button

Hi campers,

I almost have finished my random quote generator but I have a problem, the twitter button open twitter but appear in blank (whitout quote), I have tried solutions of previous post but dont work…and I dont know where is the problem

Here my pen

Thank you a lot!

I changed a couple things with your code. I am a beginner myself by the way, am no expert :slight_smile: I thing the main problem with your code was that var currentQuote didn’t have a value, it was an empty string. And that the function to open the tweet was outside of the newQuote function’s scope.

var quotesArr = ["Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.    -Charles R. Swindoll",
	"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later.    -Og Mandino",
	"The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.    -Unknown",
	"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.   -Confucius",
	"Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.    -Theodore Roosevelt",
	"When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.  -Elon Musk",
	"He who sows the wind shall reap the whirlwind     -Arthur Bomber Harris",
	"It's OK to have your eggs in one basket as long as you control what happens to that basket.    -H. G. Wells",
	"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.   -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe",
	"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.    -Terry Pratchett",
	"Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.    -Terry Pratchett",
	"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness    -Terry Pratchett",
	"The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp.    -Terry Pratchett",
	"Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.    -Terry Pratchett",
	"The entire universe has been neatly divided into things to a mate with, b eat, c run away from, and d rocks.  -Terry Pratchett",
	"Evil begins when you begin to treat people as things.    -Terry Pratchett",
	"It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done.    -Terry Pratchett",
	"Taxation is just a sophisticated way of demanding money with menaces.    -Terry Pratchett",
	"Most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally evil, but by people being fundamentally people    -Terry Pratchett."]; 

var randomQuote;
var currentQuote;

function newQuote() {
  randomQuote = Math.floor(Math.random() * (quotesArr.length));
  currentQuote = quotesArr[randomQuote];
  document.getElementById("Quotes").innerHTML = quotesArr[randomQuote];
  $("#tweet").click(function() {
     window.open('https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?&text=' + currentQuote);
   });   
}; 

Hi ebru!,

Thnanks a lot for you response and you time reviewing my code :slightly_smiling_face:. You was right I had a empty string :sweat:. Now the twitter button works almost perfect (when I click one time in the button the web browser open about nine windows) , I am working on that but without your help I would be stuck in the button function.

Thanks you a lot again!

1 Like

Hi randelldawson,

Thank you for you answer, I just have fixed the problem.

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face: