Profile Lookup - Solution Check

Hello!

I am trying to complete profile lookup and came up with a solution but not able to figure where I am wrong. I tried searching the forums and this seems by far one of the most posted questions. I wanted to make this post if someone can please help me with my solution, I can know where I am going wrong

My Solution

function lookUpProfile(name, prop){
// Only change code below this line
for(var i =0; i<contacts.length;i++){
  if(contacts[i].firstname === name && contacts[i].hasOwnProperty(prop) === true){
    return contacts[i][prop];
  }
  else if(contacts[i].firstname === name && contacts[i].hasOwnProperty(prop) === false){
    return "No such property";
  }
  else {
    return "No such contact"
  }

And the test cases results are -

Can someone please help me?

Welcome to the forum @adigee :smile:

Imagine the iterations: If for i == 0 name is not maching, then pass to else if, so name is not matching again, then pass to next else and returns "No such contact".

Always your code stops in the iteration 0.

How can you iterate correctly?

1 Like

Yeah, think about how you want to get through that loop. Think about where those return statements should be. Actually walk though an example, tracing it through the code. This is a great skill to learn. If you need to, put in console.log statements to help.

And don’t get discouraged. A lot of people struggle with this one. But the struggle is worth it.

@yoelvis @kevinSmith

Thank you! Yes I get it now what you are sayin , I moved my last return statement out of the for loop so that solves the problem for iteration and the function code does not hit “No such contact” so the function still remains active. But I am going through iterations and still not able to get why the code would stop now? If any of the first names are in the array, it should atleast run one of the if else conditions and depending on if prop is present, it can return based on the condition

// Only change code below this line
for(var i =0; i<contacts.length;i++){
  if(contacts[i].firstname === name && contacts[i].hasOwnProperty(prop) === true){
    return contacts[i][prop];
  }
  else if (contacts[i].firstname === name && contacts[i].hasOwnProperty(prop) === false){
    return "No such property";
  }
  else {

}
}
   return "No such contact"

}

JavaScript programs are case sensitive, check your spellings, you are close…

OMG!!! I don’t how I am feeling about this mistake. of course they are case sensitive and here I am going through iterations

btw program worked!
Thanks! :slight_smile:

I’ve always found it a lot clearer to write a separate function to look up the contact first:

function lookUpContact(name) {
 for(contact in contacts) {
   if(contact.firstname === name) {
    return contact
  }
}

let contact = lookUpContact(name)
  if (!contact) {
    return "No such contact"
  }
  if (!contact.hasOwnProperty(prop) {